Overclocking with Asus

Hi. So have a hero IX by Asus  with a 7700k chip and just did the auto overclock to have an idea of where to start. 

Got like 4.9 with voltage up to 1.4....is that a good result? I know manual overclocking is better but just thought I'd have a crack at the auto stuff to get an idea about the chip.

I'm thinking voltage is high.....but not expecting much about the software yet...anyone use the same board and try this...?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, rogueone said:

Hi. So have a hero IX by Asus  with a 7700k chip and just did the auto overclock to have an idea of where to start. 

Got like 4.9 with voltage up to 1.4....is that a good result? I know manual overclocking is better but just thought I'd have a crack at the auto stuff to get an idea about the chip.

I'm thinking voltage is high.....but not expecting much about the software yet...anyone use the same board and try this...?

Thanks in advance!

Oh hell naw! Whats your cooling situation? 1.4v on the 7700k is insanely high, I think that's like the max voltage you should be using if the chips liquid cooled.... What are your temperatures like? If you're on air cooling, boot into windows and check your temps - thatll let you know if its a good result lol

That doesn't really say much. You've gotta run some stress testing software and look at the temps to know if it's any good or not. If the temps are too high you need to bring down the voltage. If you get errors then you need to lower the clock speed. Rinse and repeat until you get stable results at reasonable temps. Not much to it really.

2 minutes ago, NotTayyeb said:

Oh hell naw! Whats your cooling situation? 1.4v on the 7700k is insanely high, I think that's like the max voltage you should be using if the chips liquid cooled.... What are your temperatures like? If you're on air cooling, boot into windows and check your temps - thatll let you know if its a good result lol

yeah it's a h100 v2....thought as much! Max is like 80 degrees C.....will work from here and lower it! Just needed a guide as I've never done this before!

2 minutes ago, Speaker1264 said:

That doesn't really say much. You've gotta run some stress testing software and look at the temps to know if it's any good or not. If the temps are too high you need to bring down the voltage. If you get errors then you need to lower the clock speed. Rinse and repeat until you get stable results at reasonable temps. Not much to it really.

yeah thought as much. Purchased aida64 so will use that.....will start the manual tomorrow! I think 80 degrees C top isn't too bad??? will give it a go!

Thanks heaps!

1 minute ago, rogueone said:

yeah it's a h100 v2....thought as much! Max is like 80 degrees C.....will work from here and lower it! Just needed a guide as I've never done this before!

This will give you a general idea as to whats what... Beyond that, just ask in here, I'm sure someone will help

3 minutes ago, rogueone said:

yeah thought as much. Purchased aida64 so will use that.....will start the manual tomorrow! I think 80 degrees C top isn't too bad??? will give it a go!

Thanks heaps!

AIDA64 has a free trial version, no need to pay for it.  Also there is other benchmarking software that some people would argue is better and also free, such as OCCT.  The absolute max temp for the 7700k is 100C.  For longevity though, I would say try to stay at 85C or below.

8 hours ago, NotTayyeb said:

This will give you a general idea as to whats what... Beyond that, just ask in here, I'm sure someone will help

hey...great tutorial...used it already and recommended it to someone else! 

Got a decent 4.9 at 1.27 volts on the 7700k. Will try for 5 tomorrow...thanks heaps...great reply!

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:13 AM, rogueone said:

Thanks in advance!

yeah the Asus auto OC stuff is typically crap because it tends to set stupid high voltages or other things.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

Auto OC'ing typically isnt that great, its made as a quick soluction to work for veryone, not the most precise. I would OC it your self if possible, you should be able to get at least to 5Ghz at that voltage. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

4 hours ago, rogueone said:

hey...great tutorial...used it already and recommended it to someone else! 

Got a decent 4.9 at 1.27 volts on the 7700k. Will try for 5 tomorrow...thanks heaps...great reply!

haha so now you know first hand what auto overclocking is like - glad we got rid of the unnecessary 0.13v

Your 4.9ghz@ 1.27v though, what are your idle and load temps like?

And have you given it a decent bit of testing? Let it run a stress test for a few hours to make sure its definitely stable - theres nothing worse than having your PC randomly blue screen shut down on you when you're in the middle of something important