I really don't want to buy an entire new pc, please help.

Ozukar

Hi there,

I've had my side-chick for almost 3 years now, she's a low budget msi motherboard (I can't find the name, it's a small one with only 2 memory slots) and there's an i5 4460, 8GB of ram, 1TB storage and a gtx780 installed on it.

Back in November, I bought a m65 pro and a wireless void from corsair, to pair with my K70. Instantly I ran into problems when I had to install their new version of CUE for muh rgb to work, only it did not work correctly. It recognized my new mouse and headset, although my mouse stuttered at first but I fixed that, it could not recognize my K70, after fiddling around and asking corsair what's up, they told me that they all needed USB3 in order to work correctly. I checked my pc and they were all USB3 except one of two ports on the front (the blue ports are usb3 and the black ones are 2 right?). But after some fiddling around I plugged my K70 usb's on 2 seperate usb ports under the other ones on the back. It worked, Finally. A month later the holidays came around and my gf gave me a Polaris! Only that made things much much worse.. when I plugged that in everything kinda shit the bed. I used a hub and had to throw that one out because it was obviously too much traffic through that one port.

Eventually every frikkin'  RGB peripheral got their own usb port. And still it did not work all that correct, my K70 did not give me any problems anymore, but my mousemat and mouse recognition were kinda hit and miss, sometimes they were there, sometimes one of them was, sometimes none. I let that be. Now it's been 4 months, and the problems have been adding up, My wireless void makes this noice every other minute that it's connected or something (actually haven't looked that problem up, I don't use the wireless mode all that much) and every 30 minutes or so, my mouse and audio freezes for a couple of seconds, incredibly annoying. I switched some usb plugs around and it actually fixed the recognition problem (clearly there was one port that dit not like my mouse or any other rgb product) but the other problems remained, so I softreset my pc, because it was loaded with crap anyway and had to be done. Even that did not help and the mouse stuttering was back, even though I fixed that by setting everything to a static color, which I wanted anyway (so maybe this is another indication that my usb ports just cannot handle the power?).

I want to upgrade to a gtx 1080 and put an SSD in there with it, but I'm afraid that my usb's are actually faulty. I might actually be retarded too, so if there's some easy solution to this or if my ports are actually usb2, which I'm pretty sure they are not, I want to say sorry in advance. Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Ozukar said:

I want to upgrade to a gtx 1080

FYI: It won't work well together, such an i5 will bottleneck a GTX 1070 in some games, let alone a 1080.

14 minutes ago, Ozukar said:

i5 4460, 8GB of ram

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

FYI: It won't work well together, such an i5 will bottleneck a GTX 1070 in some games, let alone a 1080.

it is true, but not massivly. My friend has a sandy bridge i5 and a 1070 and his graphics card runs most games on very high/high

1 minute ago, mainac said:

it is true, but not massivly. My friend has a sandy bridge i5 and a 1070 and his graphics card runs most games on very high/high

Just because he can play most games on very high/high doesn't mean there's no CPU bottleneck there ^_^

Such a low-clocked Haswell i5 will surely bottleneck a GTX 1080, unless OP games at 4K...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

Just because he can play most games on very high/high doesn't mean there's no CPU bottleneck there ^_^

Such a low-clocked Haswell i5 will surely bottleneck a GTX 1080, unless OP games at 4K...

well obviously it will affect performance, but if the fps is good enough from those specs then there is no need to spend £200+ upgrading motherboard, CPU and possibly RAM.

Just now, mainac said:

well obviously it will affect performance, but if the fps is good enough from those specs then there is no need to spend £200+ upgrading motherboard, CPU and possibly RAM.

Sure, but an i7-4790K is the best OP can get for the motherboard and it's much less likely to bottleneck anything so that could be a good, relatively cheap upgrade.

OP just needs to be aware that unless he gets a faster CPU, he might as well get a 1070 because he won't get a big performance boost if he got a 1080 considering that i5 bottlenecks even the 1070 in some games, and the 1080 is almost 30% faster...

Sure, but an i7-4790K is the best OP can get for the motherboard and it's much less likely to bottleneck anything so that could be a good, relatively cheap upgrade.

OP just needs to be aware that unless he gets a faster CPU, he might as well get a 1070 because he won't get a big performance boost if he got a 1080 considering that i5 bottlenecks even the 1070 in some games, and the 1080 is almost 30% faster...

yea, well said :) 

24 minutes ago, Ozukar said:

Hi there,

I've had my side-chick for almost 3 years now, she's a low budget msi motherboard (I can't find the name, it's a small one with only 2 memory slots) and there's an i5 4460, 8GB of ram, 1TB storage and a gtx780 installed on it.

Back in November, I bought a m65 pro and a wireless void from corsair, to pair with my K70. Instantly I ran into problems when I had to install their new version of CUE for muh rgb to work, only it did not work correctly. It recognized my new mouse and headset, although my mouse stuttered at first but I fixed that, it could not recognize my K70, after fiddling around and asking corsair what's up, they told me that they all needed USB3 in order to work correctly. I checked my pc and they were all USB3 except one of two ports on the front (the blue ports are usb3 and the black ones are 2 right?). But after some fiddling around I plugged my K70 usb's on 2 seperate usb ports under the other ones on the back. It worked, Finally. A month later the holidays came around and my gf gave me a Polaris! Only that made things much much worse.. when I plugged that in everything kinda shit the bed. I used a hub and had to throw that one out because it was obviously too much traffic through that one port.

Eventually every frikkin'  RGB peripheral got their own usb port. And still it did not work all that correct, my K70 did not give me any problems anymore, but my mousemat and mouse recognition were kinda hit and miss, sometimes they were there, sometimes one of them was, sometimes none. I let that be. Now it's been 4 months, and the problems have been adding up, My wireless void makes this noice every other minute that it's connected or something (actually haven't looked that problem up, I don't use the wireless mode all that much) and every 30 minutes or so, my mouse and audio freezes for a couple of seconds, incredibly annoying. I switched some usb plugs around and it actually fixed the recognition problem (clearly there was one port that dit not like my mouse or any other rgb product) but the other problems remained, so I softreset my pc, because it was loaded with crap anyway and had to be done. Even that did not help and the mouse stuttering was back, even though I fixed that by setting everything to a static color, which I wanted anyway (so maybe this is another indication that my usb ports just cannot handle the power?).

I want to upgrade to a gtx 1080 and put an SSD in there with it, but I'm afraid that my usb's are actually faulty. I might actually be retarded too, so if there's some easy solution to this or if my ports are actually usb2, which I'm pretty sure they are not, I want to say sorry in advance. Thanks!

Which USB Port,on the front or,back were you using,if its on the front,the port could be faulty,so to test it,try plugging a usb or periphiral you do not care of and see if it works,if not the front port ur talkin' abouttry the back port that might have a problem,if the mobo port is bad,you gotta replace the mobo in order to get it working,if the case,try wiggling the wire,if that doesnt help,get a new replacement case since their cheap.A i5 4460 wont bottleneck the GTX1080,1080Ti but i'd recommend getting a i7 (eg -4770k or 4790k) used and then see,it should be better since the HT on the i7

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

Sure, the 4790k is the top of that architecture, but the Xeon E3s on Haswell are cheap essentially everywhere. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

Sure, the 4790k is the top of that architecture, but the Xeon E3s on Haswell are cheap essentially everywhere. 

He wouldn't also be able to OC the 4790K, but it has a clock speed boost over the non-K 4790 so that is why I mentioned it. An E3-1231v3 would be a great choice as well, it's an i7-4770 without the iGPU and a 100MHz lower Turbo Boost clock ^_^

45 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

He wouldn't also be able to OC the 4790K, but it has a clock speed boost over the non-K 4790 so that is why I mentioned it. An E3-1231v3 would be a great choice as well, it's an i7-4770 without the iGPU and a 100MHz lower Turbo Boost clock ^_^

47 minutes ago, mainac said:

yea, well said :) 

doesn't the bottleneck depend on the games I'll be playing? Like if they're more cpu bound or not

51 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Which USB Port,on the front or,back were you using,if its on the front,the port could be faulty,so to test it,try plugging a usb or periphiral you do not care of and see if it works,if not the front port ur talkin' abouttry the back port that might have a problem,if the mobo port is bad,you gotta replace the mobo in order to get it working,if the case,try wiggling the wire,if that doesnt help,get a new replacement case since their cheap.A i5 4460 wont bottleneck the GTX1080,1080Ti but i'd recommend getting a i7 (eg -4770k or 4790k) used and then see,it should be better since the HT on the i7

Thanks for the tips :)

Just now, Ozukar said:

Thanks for the tips :)

Your Welcome

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

11 minutes ago, Ozukar said:

doesn't the bottleneck depend on the games I'll be playing? Like if they're more cpu bound or not

It does, as well as on the resolution you're playing at. The higher the resolution, the lower the impact on the CPU as the bottleneck is shifted entirely to the GPU (example: gaming @4K)

32 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It does, as well as on the resolution you're playing at. The higher the resolution, the lower the impact on the CPU as the bottleneck is shifted entirely to the GPU (example: gaming @4K)

It would eventually be for 1440p gaming, so I guess it's okay, but I might invest in second hand i7 :P 

1 minute ago, Ozukar said:

It would eventually be for 1440p gaming, so I guess it's okay, but I might invest in second hand i7 :P 

If you really plan on getting a 1080 then I suggest you have a look at used: i7-4770, 4770K, 4790, 4790K and Xeon E3-1231v3 :) Those should be much more appropriate for this kind of a GPU.

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

If you really plan on getting a 1080 then I suggest you have a look at used: i7-4770, 4770K, 4790, 4790K and Xeon E3-1231v3 :) Those should be much more appropriate for this kind of a GPU.

Yeah I think so aswell, thanks!