Computer won't post

NoxiousOdor

Hello everyone,

I am working on a computer, a new build, and I got it all together but when I tried to power it on nothing happened. It is like the computer is unplugged. I've checked the cord and the psu switch and the outlet is powered so does that mean I have a faulty psu? The psu I am using is a previously owned XFX 750W PRO Black Edition. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Did the psu come with a little 24 pin thing that leads nowhere? If so, could you use it on the psu and see if the psu will turn on?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

Did the psu come with a little 24 pin thing that leads nowhere? If so, could you use it on the psu and see if the psu will turn on?

No it just came with normal cords. Right now the only things it is connected to is the 24 pin MB power, the cpu power and the sata power for my drives

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

1 minute ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

No it just came with normal cords. Right now the only things it is connected to is the 24 pin MB power, the cpu power and the sata power for my drives

Do you have another psu you could test with? Also, double check to make sure the cables are plugged in all the way, with my first pc it wouldn't turn on at all at first because the 24 pin wasn't ALL the way in.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Do you have another psu you could test with? Also, double check to make sure the cables are plugged in all the way, with my first pc it wouldn't turn on at all at first because the 24 pin wasn't ALL the way in.

Unfortunately I don't, I also just doubled checked all the cords they are all in as far as I can get them

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

First, test your wall outlet and check the info on the PSU, you could have tripped something. If the outlet is fine, disconnect all cables from the components and find a paperclip or a wire (something conductive) and (after unplugging the PSU to be safe) stick your conductive bridge into the 24 pin connector hole that has a green wire. Place the other end in any hole with a black wire. When you plug in the PSU and switch it on, the fan should be spinning. This is a basic power supply test. There still could be voltage issues, but normally this shows that the power supply is either good or dead. 

On a side note, some PSUs have a test button that performs basically the same check with no paperclip required. 

3 minutes ago, Krystic said:

First, test your wall outlet and check the info on the PSU, you could have tripped something. If the outlet is fine, disconnect all cables from the components and find a paperclip or a wire (something conductive) and (after unplugging the PSU to be safe) stick your conductive bridge into the 24 pin connector hole that has a green wire. Place the other end in any hole with a black wire. When you plug in the PSU and switch it on, the fan should be spinning. This is a basic power supply test. There still could be voltage issues, but normally this shows that the power supply is either good or dead. 

On a side note, some PSUs have a test button that performs basically the same check with no paperclip required. 

Is there another way I could find which cord would be the green one? All of my cords are black

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

@DocSwag is referring (I think) to a bridging accessory that may come with some PSUs to basically perform the same function I described. 

Is there another way I could find which cord would be the green one? All of my cords are black

You could look up the pin layout on standard ATX PSUs and count pins I suppose. Usually even when they are sleeved or coated black the green pin is still identified. Look closely just in case. I will get back to you if I find that diagram.

@Riddler356 Did you have any issues with the Psu? Is there something you would recommend?

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

3 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

I think it is pin 15 from the left when the lock clip is on top and you are counting the top left most pin as one. But I could be very wrong. Let me try to find you a chart.

5 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

One thing I should have asked first. Are there any lights on the mobo when everything is plugged in? If there is, it may not be a PSU issue.

Just now, Krystic said:

One thing I should have asked first. Are there any lights on the mobo when everything is plugged in? If there is, it may not be a PSU issue.

No none of the usual lights are on. As far as the green wire goes I'm not sure I understand which one you mean, in relation to the empty pin slot where would it be?

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

7 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Found one. Here you go! https://www.lifewire.com/atx-24-pin-12v-power-supply-pinout-2624578 

I was off by one. It is pin sixteen with the same counting method but with the clip on bottom. Reference the pic in the article.

No none of the usual lights are on. As far as the green wire goes I'm not sure I understand which one you mean, in relation to the empty pin slot where would it be?

You will see what I mean in the article I linked :)

BTW if you have a paper clip like Wal-Mart sells nowadays, they may have a goofy rubber clear coat on them. Strip the tips to be sure you get good contact.

1 minute ago, Krystic said:

BTW if you have a paper clip like Wal-Mart sells nowadays, they may have a goofy rubber clear coat on them. Strip the tips to be sure you get good contact.

Okay I just tried the paper clip think and the fan did turn on, I question now if it came on before or not because when the psu is in my case I can't see or hear the fan

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

@Krystic I have everything plugged into the psu again and when I try to power the computer on nothing happens

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

Okay I just tried the paper clip think and the fan did turn on, I question now if it came on before or not because when the psu is in my case I can't see or hear the fan

Is it possible this is a case of loose connections? I would look at all of your plugs and make sure they are clean, clear, and look functional and then I would do the same for the mobo connectors onboard. If there is still nothing, my next question personally would be if there is a wattage issue. 750 is enough for 90% of systems, but if you have 2 gpus and a hungry cpu it is possible you have exceeded the range. Assuming that isn't the issue, my next logical step would be to find another power supply to test on my board, and/or visa versa another computer to test with my power supply.

And you said this was a new build right, @WhisperingKnickers ? Are you powering it on with the button or with the pin-short method? If you are using the button, it might be time to double check the panel header at the bottom of the board to make sure all of the little leads are plugged in in the right order.

Specifically, if the + and - are swapped for the button, it may not power on. 

1 minute ago, Krystic said:

Is it possible this is a case of loose connections? I would look at all of your plugs and make sure they are clean, clear, and look functional and then I would do the same for the mobo connectors onboard. If there is still nothing, my next question personally would be if there is a wattage issue. 750 is enough for 90% of systems, but if you have 2 gpus and a hungry cpu it is possible you have exceeded the range. Assuming that isn't the issue, my next logical step would be to find another power supply to test on my board, and/or visa versa another computer to test with my power supply.

It shouldn't be a power issue, I do have two hungry cpus (this is a dual xeon build) but I don't have a gpu in this system. I might have to find someone with a computer to borrow because this is the only one I have

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

@WhisperingKnickers

I will be afk for a while (going to eat with the wife) but I will check back with you later. In the mean time, check out this article. I haven't been able to research your PSU model yet, so I am not sure if you have the right connections. I thought you were working with a standard board. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3026170/psu-dual-xeon.html This article may have zero relevance to your issue, but it could put you in the right direction if that is the issue. 

3 minutes ago, Krystic said:

And you said this was a new build right, @WhisperingKnickers ? Are you powering it on with the button or with the pin-short method? If you are using the button, it might be time to double check the panel header at the bottom of the board to make sure all of the little leads are plugged in in the right order.

Specifically, if the + and - are swapped for the button, it may not power on. 

I should't have said new, it is mostly dated hardware but it is the first time all of these parts have been tried together. I wold try the power pins but it has a special connector that only pugs in one way so it should be okay

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

@Krystic For When you get back, the motherboard that I am using can be found by googling the part number 01012mn00-000-G and the computer is/was a dell poweredge t410. It originally had dual power supplies and a power distribution board which I suspect my be the issue but I can't find much information to solve the issue.

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

5 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

@Krystic For When you get back, the motherboard that I am using can be found by googling the part number 01012mn00-000-G and the computer is/was a dell poweredge t410. It originally had dual power supplies and a power distribution board which I suspect my be the issue but I can't find much information to solve the issue.

On mobile so I won't respond as fast and I can't look up that part right now. Check this out though. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1783260/power-supply-motherboard-dual-eps.html Make sure you are using the 4+4 connectors and not pcie and Google PSU for dual CPU *whatever your board is* and, if you can, make sure the ATX version (of power supply) is the one you have. I am concerned that it is simply incompatible with your board and that your connectors are not actually delivering proper power on the correct pins. This MAY be a situation where you have to dig into manufacturer recommendations somewhere and purchase something else. :/