Windows 10 Transplant NTFS Fail

I was playing around with clonezilla, trying to do weird shit. I wanted to see if it's possible to copy the NTFS partition of one windows installation, over to another computer's installation, and have it just work. This would be handy if you needed to convert an installation from say one version to another, or maybe even 32 to 64 bit conversion ????

i used clonezilla to copy the NTFS partition of my Windows 10 Enterprise x64 laptop, and then installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro x64 on said laptop. After a clean installation, i booted back into clonezilla and replaced the fresh "empty" NTFS partition with the clone from before with all my personal settings and stuff in it. But it BSODs at boot with inaccessible boot device error, can't get past that point.

is this pointless and impossible ? 

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Looks to me clonezilla has not been updated to work with win10. Iv used it to restore Winxp in the past. You cannot covert between 32 and 64 bit this way. Yes this is pointless

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

Looks to me clonezilla has not been updated to work with win10. Iv used it to restore Winxp in the past. You cannot covert between 32 and 64 bit this way. Yes this is pointless

i knew it was pointless, what with the fact that you can easily so this with just a product key from within windows, but hey that's no fun. But at least now i know it's possible, i'll try with a newer version of clonezilla

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

You don't find the whole process slow? I did it once, had to leave the computer overnight to make the clone. Never used clonezilla again

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

You don't find the whole process slow? I did it once, had to leave the computer overnight to make the clone. Never used clonezilla again

yeah i think most people's issues with clonezilla is that they can't let it flex it's legs properly, i use it religiously at work with my fleet just because of it's flexibility, and if you give it nice fat pipes (10gb NAS, SSD clients, USB 3) i've found it to be one of the quicker ways to get it done. There is whisper on the wind from the sysadmins up high that we might be getting a proper WDS on our little LAN in the office so i'm interested to see whether that can sway me away from clonezilla. Watching 30 laptops all boot to WDS over PXE automatically is a pretty glorious thing....

Home PC:

Work PC: