Plex Server

20 hours ago, HUSKER222 said:

If youre running several processes on a computer and running plex with multiple streams (transcoding is CPU intensive from what ive been told in this forum) the amount of cores can come into play. Internet i know plays a huge huge role infact probably the biggest role but im streaming media files that are very large if i have 15 streams going at once and im also running a game on that computer hardware comes into play. i mean i assume it does? and yes sometimes there are 15 streams going at once.

also i found out that comcast business has no data caps so no slower speeds when i hit a data cap and i wont share bandwidth with my street anymore i get my own private line.

Oke doke - your earlier posts made it seem like if you streamed those large files locally vs remote that it somehow became more cpu intensive simply because it was going over the internet. Large files included, I personally don't think you'd ever stress your system out. You won't have 15 users locally trying to stream, and your upload barely supports 1 stream. However you can easily verify, just watch the CPU monitor and run some scenarios (have some friends play some movies).

Datacaps are one thing, but Comcast "burst" is different. It will give you faster upload speeds (which is what the advertise) for the first say 100mb of a file that you're uploading.

yeah next week i have comcast coming out to give me a business connection. 150 down and 20 up and i get my own line ran from the street. they told me residential usually the whole street is on one line and everyone who has comcast just splits off of the same line. They also said no data caps anymore which i didnt know i had any before especially with as much as i download and move files around. Also sorry about the confusion in the beggining its brought to my attention alot that im all over the place when i talk. I blame it on stay home dad issues

cool beans man, just making sure you don't spend money and regret it is I think all anyone was trying to do. Hope the business line treats you better, I'm still waiting on fiber to become available in my area (most of us are I suppose).

22 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

cool beans man, just making sure you don't spend money and regret it is I think all anyone was trying to do. Hope the business line treats you better, I'm still waiting on fiber to become available in my area (most of us are I suppose).

I said that exact statement to the comcast guy about the fiber optic lines and he said "Me too" lol i wish FIOS was available in my area. And totally and i appreciate the community doing that. Ive been looking for a community to join for awhile now and ive been watching linustech on youtube for a couple of years. Figured it was time to join a community and with all the builds i do and some of the knowledge i have maybe i could help out or receive some advice as well. and i have already learned some stuff especially about that whole transcoding and direct play i had no idea what that was until this thread.