Good headphone and mic setup.

mrdeadguy34
Go to solution Solved by AAJoe,

Heh this was literally a conversation in another thread yesterday, but basically at the $100 range there's a couple good options that are easy contenders for "better" than HyperX. First, note the quotes. Sound is like wine, better sound to me is not the same as better sound to you.

Anyway, SHP 9500 + either ModMic or BoomPro. I'm obviously bias on that last choice, but do your research and you'll be able to find the pros/cons of each.

Superlux 668 + ModMic (Boompro is not compatible afaik). Most people, myself included, highly recommend replacing the earpads on the 668 with Brainwavz.

These two options are pretty close to the same price once you replace the earpads and provide some interesting options over a gaming setup like HyperX stuff.

1) You can detach the mic and use them for listening without looking like a weirdo.

2) Most people feel the sound of the headphones is going to be better, though plenty of people love their Clouds, so make of that what you will.

3) The mic should be better in both cases.

It also means if your headphones or mic fail separately, you are not replacing the entire thing, which could save you $ in the long run :) 

Edit: Oh and the At2020 as recommended above + an M40x would also be a solid choice, though cost more and is a different form factor than a "headset" (which has pros and cons again, so consider which is best for the way you use a mic)

I was thinkign of buying the Hyper X cloud 2's as they get good reviews as far as gaming headsets go. But someone told me its not worth it and I should 'build' my own.

Currently im thinking either the Superlux 668B or If I get a bit more money the ATH-M40X and a samson meteor. Is this a good setup? What would you reccomend?

21 minutes ago, mrdeadguy34 said:

I was thinkign of buying the Hyper X cloud 2's as they get good reviews as far as gaming headsets go. But someone told me its not worth it and I should 'build' my own.

Currently im thinking either the Superlux 668B or If I get a bit more money the ATH-M40X and a samson meteor. Is this a good setup? What would you reccomend?

If you want the best, I recommend you the Audio Technica AT-2020 for the mic, instead of the Samson Meteor. And, if u got a little more cha-ching, you might wanna consider to upgrade from M40X to M50X too!

1 minute ago, EchoeeqCreeper said:

If you want the best, I recommend you the Audio Technica AT-2020 for the mic, instead of the Samson Meteor. And, if u got a little more cha-ching, you might wanna consider to upgrade from M40X to M50X too!

Ye thats breaking the bank a little too much. Thanks for the reply though.

What kind of budget are you operating with?

If you're looking for closed-backs, it's really hard to beat the Clouds for around $60 (Cloud Core, Cloud II, doesn't matter; they're the same headphones). The Takstars they're based on were a good value at that price on their own. 

If you're just looking for maximum bang for your buck, you should probably check in to this ebay store every once in a while; sometimes he'll stock used Sennheiser HD5X8-based gaming headsets under $60. 

10 hours ago, Sack said:

What kind of budget are you operating with?

Less than £100 would be nice but I could stretch it a bit.

Heh this was literally a conversation in another thread yesterday, but basically at the $100 range there's a couple good options that are easy contenders for "better" than HyperX. First, note the quotes. Sound is like wine, better sound to me is not the same as better sound to you.

Anyway, SHP 9500 + either ModMic or BoomPro. I'm obviously bias on that last choice, but do your research and you'll be able to find the pros/cons of each.

Superlux 668 + ModMic (Boompro is not compatible afaik). Most people, myself included, highly recommend replacing the earpads on the 668 with Brainwavz.

These two options are pretty close to the same price once you replace the earpads and provide some interesting options over a gaming setup like HyperX stuff.

1) You can detach the mic and use them for listening without looking like a weirdo.

2) Most people feel the sound of the headphones is going to be better, though plenty of people love their Clouds, so make of that what you will.

It also means if your headphones or mic fail separately, you are not replacing the entire thing, which could save you $ in the long run :) 

Edit: Oh and the At2020 as recommended above + an M40x would also be a solid choice, though cost more and is a different form factor than a "headset" (which has pros and cons again, so consider which is best for the way you use a mic)

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

2 minutes ago, AAJoe said:

Wow. Really nice reply :D. Just a question about the 668 do you own one of them? Because Ive heard from people that I should replace them but how bad are they? I also have a spare velour set of Ear cups from my current clouds do you think they would fit?

But thanks. Im thinking ill go for the samson meteor as a mic. It seems really good and highly reccomended.

Yeah we're actually retailers of Superlux products. I'm spoiled (because I am also a retailer of Audio Technica and Hifiman) so I can't imagine using the stock 668s for long term wear... but I know people that do.

I have no idea if the cloud pads would fit though, as I actually don't own a pair of them :). I mean, worst case scenario is they don't and you buy the add-on pads from Amazon :) / see if you can tolerate the stock pads.

Meteor gets solid reviews, no doubt about it. You won't go wrong with that choice, though I think generally people prefer the AT2020 as the guy said above, but in a lot of ways we're splitting hairs. Without testing them side by side I doubt 99% of people can tell the difference just by hearing them.

1 minute ago, AAJoe said:

Yeah we're actually retailers of Superlux products. I'm spoiled (because I am also a retailer of Audio Technica and Hifiman) so I can't imagine using the stock 668s for long term wear... but I know people that do.

I have no idea if the cloud pads would fit though, as I actually don't own a pair of them :). I mean, worst case scenario is they don't and you buy the add-on pads from Amazon :) / see if you can tolerate the stock pads.

Meteor gets solid reviews, no doubt about it. You won't go wrong with that choice, though I think generally people prefer the AT2020 as the guy said above, but in a lot of ways we're splitting hairs. Without testing them side by side I doubt 99% of people can tell the difference just by hearing them.

Alright thanks! If i go with the 668B Ill just see if they fit and then order them. But £20 for a set of velour ear cups seems a bit pricey would these do just aswell: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C3BEREY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AGJ2TI2R2YFK8.

Also the At2020 is Quite a bit more than the samson meteor for me so unless it goes on sale I'll stick with that. Or is the Blue Snowball better?

Sorry about all the questions :P just tryna get the best bang for my buck.

Some people say the Snowball is just as good as the Yeti, but in my opinion... it isn't. That's just one guy's opinion though. See the "like wine" statement above. 

I really haven't heard a side by side comparison between the Snowball and the Meteor. It may be worth googling some to see if anyone's done it.

As for the replacement earpads... Well, you know the saying, you get what you pay for. That said, it seems at least the top reviewer of the product is very happy with his on the 668s, so hey, its only 3 gbp. If it doesn't work you can return it or forgo a cup of coffee and come out even ;)

1 minute ago, AAJoe said:

Some people say the Snowball is just as good as the Yeti, but in my opinion... it isn't. That's just one guy's opinion though. See the "like wine" statement above. 

I really haven't heard a side by side comparison between the Snowball and the Meteor. It may be worth googling some to see if anyone's done it.

As for the replacement earpads... Well, you know the saying, you get what you pay for. That said, it seems at least the top reviewer of the product is very happy with his on the 668s, so hey, its only 3 gbp. If it doesn't work you can return it or forgo a cup of coffee and come out even ;)

Alright thanks. appreciate your help :D