Hey guys!

So I just upgraded my rig with the MSI B350 Tomahawk + Corsair Vengance LPX ram + R7 1700 cpu. My question is, if it's normal that my pc bootup time is veeery slow? When I turn on my pc, the system runs, fans and everything, but before anything comes on the screen it says "No signal" first and my monitor goes to sleep while my pc is still running, 10 - 15 sec later my screen detects the HDMI input and shows "HDMI 2" and then my system finally boots up with the MSI logo and so on.

I have the latest BIOS version.

Could this be cause because I have my HDMI cable connected to my GPU? Or is that right?

If you go in your BIOS, set your boot drive as the first in the list, so your system won't be checking the other drives for an OS. Also make sure the PCIE GPU is selected as primary video output.

I'm not familiar with your particular mobo but the BIOS might have a 'check RAM at boot' option you can disable, and you can probably also enable fast boot, that might save some time.

Does you mum know you're here?

12 minutes ago, Joey96 said:

Could this be cause because I have my HDMI cable connected to my GPU? Or is that right?

Absolutely right. Do you have a SSD?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Absolutely right. Do you have a SSD?

But if ryzen 1700 doesn't have integrated graphics, won't it just be, nothing shows up? Yeah I do have a SSD, I had i5-4460 before, and the boot time was waaay faster than what I have now, and that was also on a HDD.

Just now, Joey96 said:

But if ryzen 1700 doesn't have integrated graphics, won't it just be, nothing shows up? Yeah I do have a SSD, I had i5-4460 before, and the boot time was waaay faster than what I have now, and that was also on a HDD.

I'm sure @ZM Fongmeant plugging it into the GPU is absolutely right. Which it is.

6 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

If you go in your BIOS, set your boot drive as the first in the list, so your system won't be checking the other drives for an OS. Also make sure the PCIE GPU is selected as primary video output.

I'm not familiar with your particular mobo but the BIOS might have a 'check RAM at boot' option you can disable, and you can probably also enable fast boot, that might save some time.

Is all this done in the BIOS? I already have my harddrive as my boot drive as the first on the list. But how is the GPU thing done same with "check RAM at boot" both of those should also be in BIOS ye? The fast boot isnt there anymore, it was there on the first BIOS version, now it doesn't have anymore with the latest

4 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

I'm sure @ZM Fongmeant plugging it into the GPU is absolutely right. Which it is.

Yup that's what I mean

6 minutes ago, Joey96 said:

But if ryzen 1700 doesn't have integrated graphics, won't it just be, nothing shows up?

Yes

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, ZM Fong said:

Yup that's what I mean

Yes

Ahh okay, it's just weird that my old i5-4460 would boot faster than my ryzen 1700 chip :/ So yeah, was a bit sad that my new upgrade was somehow "worse"

3 minutes ago, Joey96 said:

Is all this done in the BIOS? I already have my harddrive as my boot drive as the first on the list. But how is the GPU thing done same with "check RAM at boot" both of those should also be in BIOS ye? The fast boot isnt there anymore, it was there on the first BIOS version, now it doesn't have anymore with the latest

Yes, in the BIOS.

If your system takes a long time to post it has nothing to do with Windows, that's your system doing things before it starts loading the OS.

I assume that, especially now you have an SSD, your system boots normally from the MSI flash screen onwards?

1 minute ago, VVoltor said:

Yes, in the BIOS.

If your system takes a long time to post it has nothing to do with Windows, that's your system doing things before it starts loading the OS.

I assume that, especially now you have an SSD, your system boots normally from the MSI flash screen onwards?

Yeah, everything is normal when stuff starts popping up on the screen, it's before anything even comes on the screen. 

19 minutes ago, Joey96 said:

Ahh okay, it's just weird that my old i5-4460 would boot faster than my ryzen 1700 chip :/ So yeah, was a bit sad that my new upgrade was somehow "worse"

I have the same problem (went from i5 4670k to 1700), our new chips are definitely better though don't feel bad! 

One way to circumvent this issue is to use "Hibernate" mode instead of shutting down normally.

1 minute ago, Frenky said:

I have the same problem (went from i5 4670k to 1700), our new chips are definitely better though don't feel bad! 

One way to circumvent this issue is to use "Hibernate" mode instead of shutting down normally.

Hmmm true, but I really just want to be able to shut down my system hehe xD You think this might be fixable with BIOS update and so on? Since it's still so new, or that it's my boot stuff I need to fix? 

Just now, Joey96 said:

Hmmm true, but I really just want to be able to shut down my system hehe xD You think this might be fixable with BIOS update and so on? Since it's still so new, or that it's my boot stuff I need to fix? 

I think it'll eventually get fixed, its definitely not a problem on your end, lots of people are reporting this so don't worry! :) I guess we'll have to wait for new bios versions.

Just now, Frenky said:

I think it'll eventually get fixed, its definitely not a problem on your end, lots of people are reporting this so don't worry! :) I guess we'll have to wait for new bios versions.

Ahhh okay, I'm just confused if it's my fault, because it's the first time I install a new CPU, motherboard, never done such a big upgrade myself before, just afraid that maybe I installed something wrong haha :D