Short-Range motion sensor Raspberry PI

Hello,

I'm looking for a short-range motion sensor to connect to my raspberry pi, with a range of about 60 cm. I have searched the internet for 2 hours and I can't find it. Annyone suggestions?

Thanks.

you cant use a cheap security sensor? they have a simple NC relay you can plug into the IO

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

you cant use a cheap security sensor? they have a simple NC relay you can plug into the IO

No, they have a range that is to big. The range should be aboutr 60 centimeter.

1 hour ago, TobiZY said:

How wide do you need the field of view to be? You could pick up a photo-eye or proximity sensor with a 60-centimeter range for dirt cheap (a few bucks, max) - but it would pretty much be direct line-of-sight in a straight line (think, like tripping a laser beam).

You could of course construct an array of them fanning out at different angles, but it wouldn't be quite the same as a wide-angled motion sensor.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

How wide do you need the field of view to be? You could pick up a photo-eye or proximity sensor with a 60-centimeter range for dirt cheap (a few bucks, max) - but it would pretty much be direct line-of-sight in a straight line (think, like tripping a laser beam).

You could of course construct an array of them fanning out at different angles, but it wouldn't be quite the same as a wide-angled motion sensor.

It doesn't have to be wide. just a beam is enough.

Just now, TobiZY said:

It doesn't have to be wide. just a beam is enough.

Then, as I said, a prox sensor or a photo eye would work:

Something like this:

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Sensors_-z-_Encoders/Photoelectric_Sensors/12mm_Round_-_Metal

(This one has an adjustable 100mm or 300mm range, for example)

The data sheet listed will show the pin-out wiring diagram, but they're pretty simple, usually 3 or 4 wires. You can wire it up into something like a Pi using the IO board - just make sure it's getting the correct voltage.

You can find these kinds of things in automation shops, or on ebay. The problem is finding the exact right part. Finding a store that carries them may be the best route, since you can sometimes ask staff for some basic help sorting through the parts.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 hours ago, TobiZY said:

Put a lens on it

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_