Xonar DGX vs Xonar DSX

DARKMATTER

Hey Everyone

I am thinking about either getting the Xonar DGX or the Xonar DSX, but i cant really decide which one is right for me.The Xonar DGX has a built-in Headphone AMP, 5.1, and is 96Khz. The Xonar DSX on the other hand is 7.1 and is 192Khz. I currently use logitech z623 speakers but i will be getting either the Steelseries Siberia V2 or Steelseries 7H headset soon.

Will 192Khz be a noticeable difference over 96khz? Is it important to have a headphone amp? Maybe you would recommend a different sound card?

​I have always used on-board sound so any help would be much appreciated :-)

The DGX is a great value
Yeah the price is very reasonable :-)

I've read reviews of DGX and it's good. But as what DARKMATTER posted, can someone differentiate the performance of the DGX and DSX.

The DSX is made for speakers and you can have a surround system running of them. The DGX has a headphone amp to power high impedance cans. I was considering to buy the DGX, but I decided that a USB DAC/Amp will give more value. The one I'm looking at is a portable one and can be used with a PC or a phone/MP3 player, so it's much more versatile than a sound card. I'm planning on getting the Fiio E07K which is really good for the price (90$).

P.S. USB DACs will usually sound better as they separate the chip from interference from your PC. But most are 150+

You're not going to need the headphone amp feature of the DGX if you're just using the Steelseries Siberia V2 so it's basically down to whatever price fits your budget.

The DSX is made for speakers and you can have a surround system running of them. The DGX has a headphone amp to power high impedance cans. I was considering to buy the DGX, but I decided that a USB DAC/Amp will give more value. The one I'm looking at is a portable one and can be used with a PC or a phone/MP3 player, so it's much more versatile than a sound card. I'm planning on getting the Fiio E07K which is really good for the price (90$).

P.S. USB DACs will usually sound better as they separate the chip from interference from your PC. But most are 150+

You can get the acclaimed O2 Dac for $99 or the new rising star the Schiit Modi for $99 as well and it has an enclosure. Though it's quite unrelated to OP

Links:

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=39

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1

Ok thanks for the advice everyone, still have no idea what i'm going to do though :-P i guess ill just give it some more thought

Yea well the Fiio is a standalone PORTABLE DAC AND amp combo that can be used through USB or analog. For the price it's a lot more worth it than the Modi or O2 because of the portable form factor (and battery) and amp its a much better value compared to a single DAC.

7h over siberia v2 any day and DGX is excellent soundcard. Personally I use sennheiser pc 360 with xonar DGX.

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit