Is there a performance difference using a monitor vs 4K HDTV?

testudo_aubreii

Hi. I have been switching displays while playing on the PS4 Pro. When the wife doesn't commandeer the Sony 4K/HDR, I will game on the TV. When she does, I will switch over to the ASUS IPS 1080p monitor that I have. 

I don't know if I am looking at this too hard or if anyone else has experienced this, but it appears that not only does gaming on the 4K/HDR set look better, it seems to play/perform better, as well.

I notice that the frame rate looks to be more stable, I guess, on the TV. When I switch to the monitor, it seems a bit choppy. I wouldn't say it stutters, but it definitely does not seem as smooth as the TV. 

I don't know...perhaps it has something to do with the TV helping out through the features on the set, like the motion settings and monitors do not have those features. I do have the Sony in game mode, though, and everything should be disabled to minimize input lag.

I swear...frame rate is the one issue that keeps me wanting to go back to PC gaming. 

Anyhow, does anyone know anything about this or have any experience with this?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

The tv might have some picture smoothing options enabled etc., try setting if putting it into pure 4k or gaming mode makes a difference (edit, ah, it was already in game mode).

In general the difference between a monitor for gaming is mostly inputs, input lag, display lag and general Display quality and colour accuracy.

A very new and expensive high end tv might subjectively look better than a random gaming monitor though.

Anyway....just build a new pc in a closet somewhere, run a hdmi cable to the tv and play in native 4k 60 fps instead :D.

it must be how the HDR TV is processing the frames. TVs usually handle it differently from monitors, plus you sit closer to the monitor than your TV. 

could also be the various settings you have enabled on the TV.