.xlsx files not opened properly.

stefanDB

hello guys, I have this really weird problem on my PC. I want it to open .xlsx files in microsoft excel, but for some stupid reason my PC won't let me open those files with excel. I managed to find the setting to change the default program for opening this kind of files, but it will only let me select wordpad, even though I have excel on my pc, or I can search in the app store but I can't find excel that way, probably because I already have it.

I am using windows 10 and microsoft excel 2010.

edit:

the actual problem is in the fact that I can't change my windows setting, not the emailed files. also, microsoft office (the entire package) was given to us by the company that my father works for, could that be causing problems?

2 minutes ago, stefanDB said:

hello guys, I have this really weird problem on my PC. I want it to open .xlsx files in microsoft excel, but for some stupid reason my PC won't let me open those files with excel. I managed to find the setting to change the default program for opening this kind of files, but it will only let me select wordpad, even though I have excel on my pc, or I can search in the app store but I can't find excel that way, probably because I already have it.

What generation / version / format of excel files were they saved as, like 97-2003?

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Just now, UberGamerKing said:

What generation / version / format of excel files were they saved as, like 97-2003?

how can I see? the files were mailed to me, but I cant change the setting so I am not sure if it matters.

Just now, stefanDB said:

how can I see? the files were mailed to me, but I cant change the setting so I am not sure if it matters.

Right click the files, Select Properties

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

1 minute ago, UberGamerKing said:

Right click the files, Select Properties

my pc only sees it as a link, not an actual file. that might be the problem, and I can't find out what kink of file it is. but I still can't change the setting, that shouldn't have anything to do with the files I get sent.

7 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

.xlsx is the office 2007 format.

11 minutes ago, stefanDB said:

If you have deleated the hidden files then that would cause it to not open.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

1 minute ago, fixitnow said:

.xlsx is the office 2007 format.

If you have deleated the hidden files then that would cause it to not open.

what deleted files do you mean? I can't remember deleting anything related to windows but I did change some settings. but why should this matter?

6 minutes ago, stefanDB said:

what deleted files do you mean? I can't remember deleting anything related to windows but I did change some settings. but why should this matter?

Microsoft tends to have two files when you save a document. The one you see and click to open with some of the information in and a second file, that is normally hidden from the user containg other files. If the hidden file is missing then you wont be able to open the file.

Another reason for it not openeing is it may be corroput. While editing the file origionaly did the suddeny turn off? Did the drive that the file is stored on stop?

If it has been a while then chanches of recovering it are slim. Sorry

Have you tried turning it off and on again?