New gpu crashing (rx480)

Go to solution Solved by Stoggy26,

the new gpu solved my problem i guess those are just crap cards kinda sad tho i liked the white

Hey guys!

Yesterday I got my Asus RX480 Dual 8GB for which I'be been saving for months. I was previously rocking a 650 ti by Palit with a 3.4 ghz i3 3240 and 8GB of RAM. I recently started saving for new pc parts as my current ones are getting quite old and the rx480 was my first new upgrade because I found it for quite a good price. I loaded evething up( the gpu and drivers) and immediately started Star Wars Battlefront to see the improvement. The sad thing was that it ran almost the same as my 650ti on low and the framerates stayed the same on ultra? Also there was there was this annoying buzz from the gpu when i was in game(it was there on the 650ti too) which I read on a website to be caused by ,,unclean" power from the psu ( mine is a Cooler Master Thunder 600W) which is ,, filtrated " in the caps of the PSU. Anyways, the buzz isn't a big problem for me. The BIG problem is that 5 minutes in game, the system crashes with a flash on the screen which freezes on the colour of the background of the enviroment in the game. After I restart, everything is working fine, until I start the game again. I saw in one of our Lord Linus's videos that a poor power supply could be the cause for unexpected crashes? Is it possible that it doesn't get enough power to my gpu and may I need a new PSU? My thunder 600w is from july 2013. Thanks guys!

Thunder 600 is based off similar design to Corsair VS, not a good unit. 

Make sure power connectors are in firmly

Do a fresh game and OS install (game may have built itself for the old card)

idk

17 minutes ago, Stoyo71 said:

Is it possible that it doesn't get enough power to my gpu and may I need a new PSU? My thunder 600w is from july 2013. Thanks guys!

Sounds like it. Maybe you should save up for a better one before you go all Rambo on your system with a clean install. :)

2 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Thunder 600 is based off similar design to Corsair VS, not a good unit. 

Make sure power connectors are in firmly

Do a fresh game and OS install (game may have built itself for the old card)

I just tried with a freshly installed os and everything. It was working perfectly for 10 minutes until it crashed again... Seems like I'll be buying a new PSU. I saw this NZXT Hale82 v2 550W. Any opinions on it or other recommendations? I just thought it would look sick with the white Asus Dual, plus it's NZXT.

3 minutes ago, Stoyo71 said:

I just tried with a freshly installed os and everything. It was working perfectly for 10 minutes until it crashed again... Seems like I'll be buying a new PSU. I saw this NZXT Hale82 v2 550W. Any opinions on it or other recommendations? I just thought it would look sick with the white Asus Dual, plus it's NZXT.

It's a very mediocre unit, look for a Corsair CXM or Seasonic S12II as a good unit for example

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

It's a very mediocre unit, look for a Corsair CXM or Seasonic S12II as a good unit for example

I found a Seasonic M12 II 520w. I hope it does the job. Just before I buy, is there any possibility to be from the motherboard, cpu or the new gpu itself?

Should I ask for a warranty exchange for a new card and if it doesn't work , then buy the psu? 

Ok. Update time. I ran the FurMark stress test for the gpu and cpu for around 10 minutes. Everything maxed out 100% load for both and nothing, on 1080p and 1440p ( I play only 1080p). The system was stable and didn't crash. This leads me to think that it isn't a psu problem. Here is a link to a video that i shot of me in game for a minute or so after it crashes  and the crash itself: 

Any suggestions why this happens?

9 hours ago, Stoyo71 said:

Ok. Update time. I ran the FurMark stress test for the gpu and cpu for around 10 minutes. Everything maxed out 100% load for both and nothing, on 1080p and 1440p ( I play only 1080p). The system was stable and didn't crash. This leads me to think that it isn't a psu problem. Here is a link to a video that i shot of me in game for a minute or so after it crashes  and the crash itself: 

Any suggestions why this happens?

Is it still crashing after you put in the new psu?

10 hours ago, Stoyo71 said:

I found a Seasonic M12 II 520w. I hope it does the job. Just before I buy, is there any possibility to be from the motherboard, cpu or the new gpu itself?

Should I ask for a warranty exchange for a new card and if it doesn't work , then buy the psu? 

m12ii is good yeah. get a new card and try again though

idk

I got my 2nd card in i think they are just bad cards cause my 2nd ones doing it as well i got a brand new top tier PSU

19 hours ago, Stoyo71 said:

Hey guys!

Yesterday I got my Asus RX480 Dual 8GB for which I'be been saving for months. I was previously rocking a 650 ti by Palit with a 3.4 ghz i3 3240 and 8GB of RAM. I recently started saving for new pc parts as my current ones are getting quite old and the rx480 was my first new upgrade because I found it for quite a good price. I loaded evething up( the gpu and drivers) and immediately started Star Wars Battlefront to see the improvement. The sad thing was that it ran almost the same as my 650ti on low and the framerates stayed the same on ultra? Also there was there was this annoying buzz from the gpu when i was in game(it was there on the 650ti too) which I read on a website to be caused by ,,unclean" power from the psu ( mine is a Cooler Master Thunder 600W) which is ,, filtrated " in the caps of the PSU. Anyways, the buzz isn't a big problem for me. The BIG problem is that 5 minutes in game, the system crashes with a flash on the screen which freezes on the colour of the background of the enviroment in the game. After I restart, everything is working fine, until I start the game again. I saw in one of our Lord Linus's videos that a poor power supply could be the cause for unexpected crashes? Is it possible that it doesn't get enough power to my gpu and may I need a new PSU? My thunder 600w is from july 2013. Thanks guys!

Ah, I had that problem. You have to undervolt it. Go into the wattman and lower all of the core voltages to 1050. That should fix it.

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

I've tried it with MSI Afterburner. It just keeps it stable for a few more minutes. I tried everything except a new decent psu , which I'll be ordering today and receiving tomorrow. My current one really is pretty bad. Wish me luck.

6 hours ago, Sinudra said:

Is it still crashing after you put in the new psu?

Haven't bought the new psu yet. Will do today and put it in on Friday evening (+2 timezone).

1 hour ago, Stoyo71 said:

Haven't bought the new psu yet. Will do today and put it in on Friday evening (+2 timezone).

Do it and update us:)

On 3/15/2017 at 4:24 PM, Stoyo71 said:

Hey guys!

i had this issue i did a fresh install on my windows 10 and fresh new drivers. my bf1 ultra setting on a 950 was 40-60fps now i get 80-100 fps. if i adjust some settings i could get 140+fps so i could get my 144hz monitor.

GAMING RIG

i5 4590 / 16GB / RX 480 8GB

2 minutes ago, Apache Protocol said:

i had this issue i did a fresh install on my windows 10 and fresh new drivers. my bf1 ultra setting on a 950 was 40-60fps now i get 80-100 fps. if i adjust some settings i could get 140+fps so i could get my 144hz monitor.

Dont mind my comment i have a Seasonic M12II 520W. Basically i did not spend a cheap psu.

GAMING RIG

i5 4590 / 16GB / RX 480 8GB

So update again. I just loaded the new psu ( seasonic m12 II 520 evo) aaand.... same problem again. I talked with the guys at the store and thay said that they'll exchange it. Let's see how that turns out.

To be continued...

On 16/03/2017 at 9:10 AM, Stoggy26 said:

i gave up getting both of mine to work i ordered a XFX GTR

Please tell me if that works. Thanks 

the new gpu solved my problem i guess those are just crap cards kinda sad tho i liked the white