Replacing my boot drive

EslyteMedia

Im replacing my boot drive with an ssd. will I have to reinstall my os? or is there a way to clone my hard drive. (I will also be replacing my CPU if that makes a difference.)

9 minutes ago, EslyteMedia said:

Im replacing my boot drive with an ssd. will I have to reinstall my os? or is there a way to clone my hard drive. (I will also be replacing my CPU if that makes a difference.)

What SSD did you buy? You can use the drive imaging software that's from the SSD manufacturer. 

(Samsung, Sandisk, Crutial, etc)

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

You can clone it but if you don't have to, it's usually best to just reinstall.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

There are multiple tools to clone your disk, so you don't have to reinstall your OS. Only thing that might get a bit of an issue is space. If you are using (for example!) a 60 gb SSD, while you have 1 tb of data on your OS drive... It's hard to clone. (but I think there is software that will take only your OS, or parts of your HDD) Just google for free disk cloning software. I managed to clony my HDD to my SSD with free software.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You can clone it but if you don't have to, it's usually best to just reinstall.

I don't believe I can reinstall with an OEM Windows 10 product key.

2 hours ago, Brink2Three said:

What SSD did you buy? You can use the drive imaging software that's from the SSD manufacturer. 

(Samsung, Sandisk, Crutial, etc)

I plan on buying a PNY CS1311; 120 GB

2 hours ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

What HDD do you use?

I have a four or five year old HGST 2.5 Inch hard drive that came with one of the first laptop's i've ever had. Still works great, but It's very slow. (Don't worry. I backup all my data daily.)

5 minutes ago, EslyteMedia said:

I don't believe I can reinstall with an OEM Windows 10 product key.

Of course you can, no OS would ever be locked to a one time use, that'd be insane.  You can reinstall as much as you like on that one computer, you just can't move it to a different PC.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 3/14/2017 at 7:34 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Of course you can, no OS would ever be locked to a one time use, that'd be insane.  You can reinstall as much as you like on that one computer, you just can't move it to a different PC.

Even if I upgrade the computer?

Just now, EslyteMedia said:

Even if I upgrade the computer?

Depends what you upgrade.  I think CPU and/or motherboard are known to cause troubles but simple things like HDDs, GPUs, etc. should be no problem.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Depends what you upgrade.  I think CPU and/or motherboard are known to cause troubles but simple things like HDDs, GPUs, etc. should be no problem.

I will be replacing my CPU

Just now, EslyteMedia said:

I will be replacing my CPU

In that case make sure your Windows key is tied to your Microsoft Account so you can reactivate after reinstalling without too much trouble.

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

In that case make sure your Windows key is tied to your Microsoft Account so you can reactivate after reinstalling without too much trouble.

ok. Thanks!

1 minute ago, EslyteMedia said:

ok. Thanks!

Actually if you're just changing CPU, you shouldn't even need to reinstall, but regardless my advise stands :)