Two NZXT hue+ units at once?

Go to solution Solved by Firetech,

I actually have 2 hue+ units in my case and it works perfectly. Cam knows there are 2 and I have full control over both of them. If you have any problems the support team is really helpful too and responds relatively quick.

With a new office renovation in the works I've been pretty sold on the Phillips hue rgb light strips. However, after looking at the price per unit and evaluating what it can actually do I've considered Jerry rigging an NZXT hue+ behind my desk to shine against a wall for more cancerous rgb action. My question is: If i get a hue+ in my main PC and a second hue+ under my desk, Can i control them independently? 

(I already have a Phillips hue bridge/hub thingy)

Phillips hue: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Lightstrip-Generation-Works-Amazon/dp/B014H2OXYU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489303481&sr=8-1&keywords=Phillips+hue+light+strip

NZXT hue+: https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-AC-HUEPS-M1-Hue-Advanced-Lighting/dp/B018YZ0H1O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489303522&sr=1-1&keywords=nzxt+hue%2B

12 hours ago, FlpDaMattress said:

With a new office renovation in the works I've been pretty sold on the Phillips hue rgb light strips. However, after looking at the price per unit and evaluating what it can actually do I've considered Jerry rigging an NZXT hue+ behind my desk to shine against a wall for more cancerous rgb action. My question is: If i get a hue+ in my main PC and a second hue+ under my desk, Can i control them independently? 

(I already have a Phillips hue bridge/hub thingy)

Phillips hue: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Lightstrip-Generation-Works-Amazon/dp/B014H2OXYU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489303481&sr=8-1&keywords=Phillips+hue+light+strip

NZXT hue+: https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-AC-HUEPS-M1-Hue-Advanced-Lighting/dp/B018YZ0H1O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489303522&sr=1-1&keywords=nzxt+hue%2B

They require software control so I don't think they will work with two units connected to a single computer, unless it has a way of differentiating between the two units. You can run an extension from the NZXT HUE+ with extension strips to go around the desk. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

They require software control so I don't think they will work with two units connected to a single computer, unless it has a way of differentiating between the two units. You can run an extension from the NZXT HUE+ with extension strips to go around the desk. 

Yeah, But that would require drilling holes in my s340 elite, Somehow i don't see extensions working. 

3 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

Yeah, But that would require drilling holes in my s340 elite, Somehow i don't see extensions working. 

You can run it out of say a watercooling grommet in the case or somewhere available, extensions aren't a problem as long as it doesn't exceed the the maximum capacity of the hue+ controller. Extension cables and such for LED strips are readily available. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

You can run it out of say a watercooling grommet in the case or somewhere available, extensions aren't a problem as long as it doesn't exceed the the maximum capacity of the hue+ controller. Extension cables and such for LED strips are readily available. 

Problem is it doesn't have any grommets, but pci tho..

NZXT-S340-Elite-back.jpg

Just now, FlpDaMattress said:

Problem is it doesn't have any grommets, but pci tho..

If your limited then yeah a PCI-E slot will work, it wouldn't be ahrd to drill an opening and add a grommet if you wanted say near the top where it will be hidden. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

If your limited then yeah a PCI-E slot will work, it wouldn't be ahrd to drill an opening and add a grommet if you wanted say near the top where it will be hidden. 

Considering it took me 4 months to get that case in the first place i won't take a drill anywhere near it, Pci will do. (I'll also be putting a cable sleeve behind it so the odds of anyone seeing it in the first place are pretty slim. 

Just checked amazon and nzxt.com, where are these extensions exactly? or do i need to make my own? (extension cables without the lights basically)

3 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

Considering it took me 4 months to get that case in the first place i won't take a drill anywhere near it, Pci will do. (I'll also be putting a cable sleeve behind it so the odds of anyone seeing it in the first place are pretty slim. 

Just checked amazon and nzxt.com, where are these extensions exactly? or do i need to make my own? (extension cables without the lights basically)

Since SMD LED strips are so ubiquitous you can get extensions like theses that allow you to extend the lights outside the case, you will need some more of the NZXT Hue+ strips for the desk lighting. 

https://www.amazon.com/Liwinting-Extension-Connector-Ribbon-Connectors/dp/B01EAHRZEC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489351907&sr=1-2

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Since SMD LED strips are so ubiquitous you can get extensions like theses that allow you to extend the lights outside the case, you will need some more of the NZXT Hue+ strips for the desk lighting. 

https://www.amazon.com/Liwinting-Extension-Connector-Ribbon-Connectors/dp/B01EAHRZEC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489351907&sr=1-2

That's exactly what i was looking for, Do you know how many extension cables i can connect before the lights become dim or unresponsive?

Just now, FlpDaMattress said:

That's exactly what i was looking for, Do you know how many extension cables i can connect before the lights become dim or unresponsive?

Also IIRC the Hue+ comes with LED extension leads so as long as they are long enough you can run it outside the case. From their site it says, so as long as the total is not more than 4 strips on a single channel:

• Add Two LED Strips to the HUE+ supporting up to 40 LEDs per channel

Just now, W-L said:

Also IIRC the Hue+ comes with LED extension leads so as long as they are long enough you can run it outside the case. From their site it says, so as long as the total is not more than 4 strips on a single channel:

So i'm covered then, Thanks!

• 8 months later...

BTW, for future reference, NZXT says you CAN connect more than one Hue+ in the same PC so long as you have enough available USB headers on the motherboard. Seems I've read about a few folks that have even done it with a USB header splitter. Can't verify that though. Actually, I can't verify the multiples either, because I haven't done it myself, but the NZXT tech rep in their forums says it can be done, so......

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have 2 hue+ units in my case and it works perfectly. Cam knows there are 2 and I have full control over both of them. If you have any problems the support team is really helpful too and responds relatively quick.