Overclocking VID vs CPU VCORE

atavax

Hey, right now I have a rather mild overclock of my 2600k to 4.4Ghz, but have an AIO arriving in a couple days and plan to go a bit further. I have noticed that HWMonitor shows a much higher voltage in VID than what I have set in vcore, and I was just wondering if i should be worried about it? Currently my vcore is showing as about 1.260 when under load, and VID is 1.391

From what i understand, VID is what the CPU wants and Vcore is what the CPU gets (from the VRMs). How stable are you? You might want to bump up your LLC.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

So i'm using Linx to stress test. When the problem size was 10000, it was stable at 4.5ghz. I set the problem size to 20000, because 10000 was finishing in like 4 minutes, and 4.5Ghz crashes at 20000, but 4.4Ghz seems perfectly stable with the 26 minute long stress test, max temp on my current cooler is 76C. Yeah, so far all my overclocking is through the multiplier. Specifically through turbo mode. For whatever reason my motherboard won't let me overclock the base frequency. Is there an indication when you should be overclocking your LLC? Also any thoughts on the max safe temp and vcore for the 2600k? I was thinking 80C and 1.36V

1 hour ago, atavax said:

So i'm using Linx to stress test. When the problem size was 10000, it was stable at 4.5ghz. I set the problem size to 20000, because 10000 was finishing in like 4 minutes, and 4.5Ghz crashes at 20000, but 4.4Ghz seems perfectly stable with the 26 minute long stress test, max temp on my current cooler is 76C. Yeah, so far all my overclocking is through the multiplier. Specifically through turbo mode. For whatever reason my motherboard won't let me overclock the base frequency. Is there an indication when you should be overclocking your LLC? Also any thoughts on the max safe temp and vcore for the 2600k? I was thinking 80C and 1.36V

Well, LLC is your Load Line Calibration. It helps give the VRMs a bit of a boost to help keep the CPU from drawing the voltage down too far when under load. Basically it just applies extra voltage so the droop doesn't fall below certain death, which does happen. folks usually bump this up so that at least the voltage the VRMs are sending matches closely to what the CPU wants.

I'm unfamiliar with how Linx works, so i don't know how it's stressing the CPU and all it's components. I find ROG RealBench to be a better stressing program, but YMMV.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

45 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Well, LLC is your Load Line Calibration. It helps give the VRMs a bit of a boost to help keep the CPU from drawing the voltage down too far when under load. Basically it just applies extra voltage so the droop doesn't fall below certain death, which does happen. folks usually bump this up so that at least the voltage the VRMs are sending matches closely to what the CPU wants.

I'm unfamiliar with how Linx works, so i don't know how it's stressing the CPU and all it's components. I find ROG RealBench to be a better stressing program, but YMMV.

ah, ok, I was confusing LLC with ICC. Looking at my notes, I don't think I have anything labled LLC or Load Line Calibration in my bios, as i copied down almost everything in there onto a notebook. my mobo is ecs p67h2-a2.

i tried the ROG Realbench, had a max temp of 73. It was really weird, my max vcore was 1.260 for awhile, but then right around when it ended it spiked to 1.308