Help to build a 3D+Rendering machine

Hello. My name is André, from Portugal, in Europe. Currency is in euros

I am an architect u work in 3D models and Rendering processes. As well adobe photoshop, InDesign, ilustrador and Autocad.

I use Rhinoceros 3D, vray, SketchUp and gpu Rendering softwares, like thea render, octane. Probably i will move to 3d studio and some Rendering plugin, like cpu and gpu software system. Autodesk Revit, AutoCAD, and other similar that work under openGL, viewports.

I need to build a powerfull machine that handle heavy 24/7 workflow. As well as multitasking softwares. 

This machine is just for job work and to work with 2 Dell external monitors that i have in Office.

I personaly will like to experience a small form case, like mini itx. Corsair obsidiana 250D (or similar dimensions). Mostly i need a super fresh case because of Rendering processes.

I have about 1500 to 2000 euros to spend.

I would Love to find performance to price satisfaction. But mostly and more important, to find a stable machine.

OS would be windows 7. but as Microsoft reported the near end support for that system, i assume that i will be forced to move to win10.

Any help about options on configurações and tips to config will be greatfull.

Best regards.

I might be able to build a 2000 dollar workstation on pcpartpicker.com let me check

8 minutes ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

just under 1800 euros: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/brVHQV

You factored in the price of an OS but not case fans? tsk tsk

[ Intel i7-6700K ][ Asus TUF Sabertooth Mk1 Z170 ][ Gigabyte GTX 780ti ][ 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z ][ Corsair Obsidian 900D ]

[ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM ][ 1x512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 (OS) ][ 3x512GB Samsung 850 Pro RAID 0 ][ 1x5TB WD Black ]

Hey @Tonyboss I just had a friend over when I was browsing this forum and stumbled on your thread.

He works with autodesk/ autocad and many more too. He was nice enough to share some of his experiences with me ( he used both amd and nvidia cards in his career) and ultimately after a lot of fiddling around we came up with this build (focus on cpu cores(4 to 8 are enough), ram and gpu):

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/86q9BP

Not only is this a very quiet build (The case has excellent sound dampening and looks minimalistic), thanks to the great noctua Cpu Cooler and the corsair psu, but also extremely powerful. He recommends nvidia over radeon, because in his experience they are faster. He used to work on quadro cards, because autocad had fewer crashes on those, but there seem to be some issues with those lately and the performance is just slow now compared to normal consumer graphics cards (he has dual 1080s), which make it run very smoothly. I am by no means an expert and don't know about 3d modelling, but I trust his judgement. The build fits your budget about right and I hope you have good luck with finding all the parts you need. Just noticed that you are from portugal so I don't know which prices will apply.

EDIT: Tried to switch to spanish prices: https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/XBz9BP but there are many missing so I have next to no idea about accurate pricing, since portuguese prices are not shown in pcpartpicker. 

Sooo... tried an intel build with spanish prices and a micro itx mobo and case. Maybe this comes closer in terms of pricing to what is available in portugal:
https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/JJNDKZ
Be aware though, that the 8 core processor from amd is better for the work you do. So if possible stick to the ryzen builds (if you have to, switch out the 1800x for the 1700x and if need arises due to budgetary constraints, go for the 1700). Good luck :)

Hello again.

Thanks for all tips.

I wonder why the new and ryzen cpu? It is better then intel from the same comparision?

All my search notes indicate that all softwares i have been using are best stable on intel chips. Or this new AMD cpu brings another turning point on this matter?

About cases. I wonder if it is possible to have powerfull specs inside a mini itx form? 

Despire i understand that mid towers are better for future upgrades and better cooling, i would Love to try to fit all hardware in small form. Or there is no mini itx mobos that supports more than 16 gb ram?

Weel, let me try to resume all kind of parte that i have in my mind.

Mini itx case.

A good stable mobo.

Intel cpu. High single core and i7 for preference.

Air cooling system. I read about some new Silverstone penetrator air fans. Noctua cpu cooling...

NVIDIA gpu. 1080 ti or 1080, or 1070(depend)

Samsung or SanDisk SSD for master disk and a high reliable HDD for storage and 3D objects library.

A Corsair psu

And a good air system.

17 minutes ago, Tonyboss said:

Hello again.

Thanks for all tips.

I wonder why the new and ryzen cpu? It is better then intel from the same comparision?

All my search notes indicate that all softwares i have been using are best stable on intel chips. Or this new AMD cpu brings another turning point on this matter?

About cases. I wonder if it is possible to have powerfull specs inside a mini itx form? 

Despire i understand that mid towers are better for future upgrades and better cooling, i would Love to try to fit all hardware in small form. Or there is no mini itx mobos that supports more than 16 gb ram?

check out this intelbuild i posted before https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/JJNDKZ
It has a micro itx case and motherboard. The board can hold 4 ram sticks, I simply added just two so it wouldn't go over budget. :) The i7 7700k Is one of intels best cpu's so don't worry about that being the wrong choice. :) Regarding the case and cpu cooler, just look out for what fits your budget and ultimately fits in the case itself. I understand also that prices are very different in portugal, so the most important thing here is to keep everything in budget, because I noticed that portuguese prices are higher. I only picked the fractal case, because it was the only one with a price listing and was comparably cheap in pcpartpicker. I am sure, if you look around, you will find something better looking as a case for your build. Just beware of buying a cooler that is too tall for the case you ultimately pick.

17 minutes ago, honor said:

check out this intelbuild i posted before https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/JJNDKZ
It has a micro itx case and motherboard. The board can hold 4 ram sticks, I simply added just two so it wouldn't go over budget. :) The i7 7700k Is one of intels best cpu's so don't worry about that being the wrong choice. :) Regarding the case and cpu cooler, just look out for what fits your budget and ultimately fits in the case itself. I understand also that prices are very different in portugal, so the most important thing here is to keep everything in budget, because I noticed that portuguese prices are higher. I only picked the fractal case, because it was the only one with a price listing and was comparably cheap in pcpartpicker. I am sure, if you look around, you will find something better looking as a case for your build. Just beware of buying a cooler that is too tall for the case you ultimately pick.

Do you recommend that intel i7 7700k ? 

I use it and I think it is pretty good. So far I have had only good experiences with it, so I won't be switching to AMD anytime soon. It is a matter of preference. :)

So this is without GPU, since the 1080Ti will be launching soon.  It is also without mass storage, you can pick how much you need. 

Do you need 64GB of RAM?  xD  Just remember this platform supports quad channel memory.

Oh geez, mobo only has two DIMM slots... 1 sec...  *FIXED...  I had to jump to mATX

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($378.50 @ Jet)  <<Jump to Braodwell-E (6800K) for $30
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($56.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: EVGA Micro 2 Micro ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($179.99 @ Jet)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($143.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1323.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-04 19:01 EST-0500

1 hour ago, Tonyboss said:

Weel, let me try to resume all kind of parte that i have in my mind.

Mini itx case.

A good stable mobo.

Intel cpu. High single core and i7 for preference.

Air cooling system. I read about some new Silverstone penetrator air fans. Noctua cpu cooling...

NVIDIA gpu. 1080 ti or 1080, or 1070(depend)

Samsung or SanDisk SSD for master disk and a high reliable HDD for storage and 3D objects library.

A Corsair psu

And a good air system.

I would suggest an X99 system with ECC memory for this build. 

You will have to check local availability and pricing.

Note: the motherboard comes with a 2011-3 narrow cpu cooler.

The motherboard requires BIOS P3.10 which shipped last April to use the cpu.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1650 V4 3.6GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($599.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2011-3 Narrow Motherboard  ($248.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial 32GB (2 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory  ($299.00 @ B&H) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($159.99 @ Jet) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($85.81 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($529.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($49.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Jet) 
Total: $2073.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-04 19:37 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

9 hours ago, LyyK said:

You factored in the price of an OS but not case fans? tsk tsk

There are fans inside the case. Remove the os and add some fans will be the same price