Rig upgrade windows 10 question!

Joey96

Hey guys!

So I'm soon going to upgrade my rig, with a new motherboard, cpu and ram. So I was wondering how the Windows 10 activation would work? I had a Windows 8 key and got the free upgrade from windows, I've read about linking the license key to your windows account, but does this also apply if I got the free Windows 10 upgrade?

Another thing is, what do I do when I've got everything hooked up in my new rig? Since windows 10 is already on my harddisk should it just start up without problems? Or would the best way be formatting my harddrives and install windows from a USB? 

Thanks for helping out! :D

Wasn't the free upgrade only last year untill like june? I think thats over now..?

I5 4440//8gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3//Sapphire Radeon r9 380 4gb//ASUS h81m-plus//WD caviar blue 1tb//Cooler Master N200//Cooler Master G500

2 minutes ago, thebrownieguy said:

Wasn't the free upgrade only last year untill like june? I think thats over now..?

Yeah but in my current rig, I got the free windows upgrade from last year, so what I'm wondering is, if linking it to my account, and activating it on a new pc, if it would be windows 8 or 10? 

I don't know how it works but I bought windows 8.1 when W10 was a free upgrade and upgraded to W10. Recently I upgraded my PC and I just used the W10 ISO and used the 8.1 key and it worked flawlessly.

【=◈︿◈=】

\\ CPU i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz(1.26v) \\ GPU | 1070 FE 8GB  // Audio FiiO E10k / AT M50X //

\\ Monitor | LG 29UM69G-B \\ Phone LG G6 H870DS // Nintendo Switch //

9 minutes ago, Joey96 said:

Yeah but in my current rig, I got the free windows upgrade from last year, so what I'm wondering is, if linking it to my account, and activating it on a new pc, if it would be windows 8 or 10? 

Good pointy but idk.. You could just try?

I5 4440//8gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3//Sapphire Radeon r9 380 4gb//ASUS h81m-plus//WD caviar blue 1tb//Cooler Master N200//Cooler Master G500

7 minutes ago, Eredian said:

I don't know how it works but I bought windows 8.1 when W10 was a free upgrade and upgraded to W10. Recently I upgraded my PC and I just used the W10 ISO and used the 8.1 key and it worked flawlessly.

Hmmmm sounds like it might work then xD Did you use the link account method or just putting in your license key?

7 minutes ago, thebrownieguy said:

Good pointy but idk.. You could just try?

Problem is, I don't want my Kaby Lake rig running on a windows 8 OS, since microsoft won't support the kaby lake + older OS. So if that's the case, I have to put more into my budget for windows 10, so yeah :D 

Just now, Joey96 said:

Problem is, I don't want my Kaby Lake rig running on a windows 8 OS, since microsoft won't support the kaby lake + older OS. So if that's the case, I have to put more into my budget for windows 10, so yeah :D 

Just buy a code from internet for $30, thats the best way to fix it.

11 minutes ago, Joey96 said:

Hmmmm sounds like it might work then xD Did you use the link account method or just putting in your license key?

I'm pretty sure I didn't link but don't quote me on that.

【=◈︿◈=】

\\ CPU i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz(1.26v) \\ GPU | 1070 FE 8GB  // Audio FiiO E10k / AT M50X //

\\ Monitor | LG 29UM69G-B \\ Phone LG G6 H870DS // Nintendo Switch //