Laptop and Desktop for Programming Win+Linux+Mac

Go to solution Solved by jafico1,

I would say that the best option for you would be to get a MacBook and PC desktop. Apple's desktop lineup isn't great to be honest, as it is lacking a little in upgradeability and expandability, in comparison to their laptops which are some of the best on the market.

Look at getting a used or refurbished 2015 model MacBook Pro - the performance is only very slightly less, and they are more usable laptops IMO. Then build yourself a decent desktop for Linux/Windows.

I am looking for setting up two machine for development purposes :-

A Desktop and a laptop. 

Money is not gonna be a problem(Its not like I got silver spoons hanging around). I can thrown in if the hardware is worth.

I need a mac + windows and Linux.

I use lubuntu as my primary OS. What should I buy?

• should it be a macbook + PC(linux installed + Windows in VM or dual boot)
  • Ubuntu laptop + mac mini or iMac
  • chromebook + a beast mac pro
  • or anything.....

The problem that circles me around is my requirements

• I need a lot of RAM 16GB. Its gonna be heavy programming
  • I use image editing softwares
  • I don't want to hesitate when my friend shows with a virus infected pen drive to plug into my system
  • I really love to hold a laptop without plugging it to the charging socket for a long time

I really love the second option, but not sure whether I can find a quality linux laptop.

For the first one, got to say the new macbook lineup doesn't impress me.

What are all your suggestions?

you can build a hackintosh for triple os boot and chose a laptop you want

PS: Is all the windows laptop and install a Linux in it?

I would say that the best option for you would be to get a MacBook and PC desktop. Apple's desktop lineup isn't great to be honest, as it is lacking a little in upgradeability and expandability, in comparison to their laptops which are some of the best on the market.

Look at getting a used or refurbished 2015 model MacBook Pro - the performance is only very slightly less, and they are more usable laptops IMO. Then build yourself a decent desktop for Linux/Windows.

Hackintosh tri boot and XPS15 developer edition. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

On 2/11/2017 at 8:16 PM, Melvin Davis said:

I am looking for setting up two machine for development purposes :-

A Desktop and a laptop. 

Money is not gonna be a problem(Its not like I got silver spoons hanging around). I can thrown in if the hardware is worth.

I need a mac + windows and Linux.

I use lubuntu as my primary OS. What should I buy?

• should it be a macbook + PC(linux installed + Windows in VM or dual boot)
  • Ubuntu laptop + mac mini or iMac
  • chromebook + a beast mac pro
  • or anything.....

The problem that circles me around is my requirements

• I need a lot of RAM 16GB. Its gonna be heavy programming
  • I use image editing softwares
  • I don't want to hesitate when my friend shows with a virus infected pen drive to plug into my system
  • I really love to hold a laptop without plugging it to the charging socket for a long time

I really love the second option, but not sure whether I can find a quality linux laptop.

For the first one, got to say the new macbook lineup doesn't impress me.

What are all your suggestions?

i've done this exact thing already, can't explain precisely how to do it but im sure you already know.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64