Computer Hard Drive

Hi there! I recently took my 1 tb 5400rpm HDD out of my computer to install a 1tb SSD inside instead. I took the 1tb HDD and put it in an external enclosure. I was wondering if it was ok to format the whole hard drive and make it like new to be able to use it as a backup for my music? OR, should I not format it and just drag my music on to there without format so I can keep all the windows partitions and everything on it from windows

That's up to you. It should work fine as a second storage volume without formatting, so it's just a matter of whether or not there is stuff on there you want to save. If you just want to wipe out the drive and start fresh, backup what you need to backup and format it.

12 minutes ago, typographie said:

That's up to you. It should work fine as a second storage volume without formatting, so it's just a matter of whether or not there is stuff on there you want to save. If you just want to wipe out the drive and start fresh, backup what you need to backup and format it.

So resetting it is fine and I dont need the windows partition on there? P.S. i dont need anything on there. If i do, I would transfer it to my pc and then put it back on the HDD

1 minute ago, Asher Schwartz said:

So resetting it is fine and I dont need the windows partition on there? P.S. i dont need anything on there. If i do, I would transfer it to my pc and then put it back on the HDD

I can't think of any reason you'd need to keep any of the Windows files on that drive unless you intended to boot from it again. But if you're unsure what you may or may not need later, you can just leave it as-is for now. It's really more an issue of organization and tidiness than functionality.

1 minute ago, typographie said:

I can't think of any reason you'd need to keep any of the Windows files on that drive unless you intended to boot from it again. But if you're unsure what you may or may not need later, you can just leave it as-is for now. It's really more an issue of organization and tidiness than functionality.

ok

If I am reformatting the whole thing to make it external, do I need the EFI partition or can I delete that?

3 hours ago, Asher Schwartz said:

If I am reformatting the whole thing to make it external, do I need the EFI partition or can I delete that?

If you aren't using it right now for Windows, then no. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2