1080p on a 4k 15in?

TheSSVids

Hi everyone, I'm planning to buy the new XPS 15, and though I don't wanna buy it because of gaming, I'd like to do a little bit of gaming on the side. However, it's quite obvious that a 1050 can't run modern games in 4k. I'm wondering if anyone has had some experience with playing on 1080p on a 4k laptop.

Thanks in advance

funnily enough i was looking at this exact laptop earlier today, and asked myself the obvious question, why on earth have they stuck a 1050ti to a UHD panel ? as for the scaling question though, 1080p scales better to UHD than it does to 1440p, because it's whole integer divisible, whereas 1440p is not. (1440p is 1.5 times the res of 1080p leading to scaling artefacts whereas 2160p is precisely 4 times the number of pixels meaning a simple 1:4 scaling can be done) 

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

2 hours ago, TheSSVids said:

Hi everyone, I'm planning to buy the new XPS 15, and though I don't wanna buy it because of gaming, I'd like to do a little bit of gaming on the side. However, it's quite obvious that a 1050 can't run modern games in 4k. I'm wondering if anyone has had some experience with playing on 1080p on a 4k laptop.

Thanks in advance

I have the same concerns about the XPS 15 and I hesitate between the UHD or FHD screen. I guess I'll go for the QHD to not loose in screen quality from my macbook, but I also want to see 1080p upscaled gaming to see if it's noticeable. (I sometimes game on my Macbook in half-Retina resolution (1400x900px) and I barely notice the upscaling, but I play on the lowest settings possible as the Macbook Pro Retina gets insanely hot).

Also Nvidia has a technology to handle upscaling with the GPU (Dynamic Super Resolution - http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr) so I guess it'll improve the upscaling without loosing too much performance.

What I would like to see is UHD/FHD comparison screenshots between no upscaling, native upscaling and DSR upscaling. Is there any way to get that?

[Insert smart comment here]

50 minutes ago, jldjul said:

What I would like to see is UHD/FHD comparison screenshots between no upscaling, native upscaling and DSR upscaling. Is there any way to get that?

The difference would effectively be 1080p vs 4K vs 4K (rendered down to 1080p). 

1080p from 4K looks much better than native 1080p but whether its worth the difference is for you to decide. Bear in mind this is comparing max settings at both resolutions so a 1050 couldn't push that at upscaled 4K or natively.

Screenshots were taken with FRAPs in game in JC3

4K screenshot re-rendered at 1080p

1080 from 4K.jpg

Native 4K screenshot

Native 4K.jpg

1080p screenshot

native 1080.jpg