Managing Hyper-V on 2008 R2 from Windows 10 Pro

KuJoe

I've been fighting with this the past hour or so and Google and YouTube haven't been very helpful in finding a solution. I keep getting the following error regardless of what I do. I've completely disabled firewalls on both sides, I've added users and edited DCOM settings, I've rebooted multiple times, I set all of the networks to Private, and confirmed the services are running. I can manager the Hyper-V VMs locally fine, just not remotely from a different network. I found a post on stackoverflow that states you cannot manage a Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V node remotely using Windows 10 according to a Microsoft rep but that was a while back and other blogs are saying you can. Any ideas? I really want to migrate from ESXi to Hyper-V and this is the only thing standing in my way at this point, also both the server and client are on Workgroups and not Domains but that shouldn't make a huge difference according to guides. Thanks!

hyperv_manager.png

-KuJoe

what does "remotely from a different network" mean? is there full, bidirectional routing between the two networks? Some of the Server management tools don't connect in a Client-Server manner, it's more like Server-Server, as in the HyperV host you are trying to manage will send data back to your computer in a way that won't be able to traverse a NAT boundary.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

7 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I've been fighting with this the past hour or so and Google and YouTube haven't been very helpful in finding a solution. I keep getting the following error regardless of what I do. I've completely disabled firewalls on both sides, I've added users and edited DCOM settings, I've rebooted multiple times, I set all of the networks to Private, and confirmed the services are running. I can manager the Hyper-V VMs locally fine, just not remotely from a different network. I found a post on stackoverflow that states you cannot manage a Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V node remotely using Windows 10 according to a Microsoft rep but that was a while back and other blogs are saying you can. Any ideas? I really want to migrate from ESXi to Hyper-V and this is the only thing standing in my way at this point, also both the server and client are on Workgroups and not Domains but that shouldn't make a huge difference according to guides. Thanks!

hyperv_manager.png

You could try setting up a VPN server locally (Either on the 2008 R2 machine, or via a VM or even possibly your router if it supports that), then connect to the VPN from the computer you're trying to manage from. This would treat your connection as a local connection.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 hours ago, KuJoe said:

hyperv_manager.png

I've done it, it is a very manual process (windows 10 to Hyper-V 2012R2). Easiest thing to do, is just spin up a domain and join the hyper-v server and your dekstop to the domain. makes this entire process soooooooooooooooooo much simpler.

Can't remember off the top of my head, but make sure you have RSAT tools installed on the workstation and then;

Enable-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Administration" <- on server. there are other groups that let you connect server manager etc.

WinRM qc <- make sure WinRM is actually configured / allowed through firewall, this does it for you. Do this on both server and workstation.

winrm set winrm/config/client '@{TrustedHosts="Hyper-Vservername"}' <- just need to tell your workstation to trust the hyper-v server.

If this fails (it does most of the time) good luck. It becomes litterally easier to deploy a domain and join both systems to it and then get connection that way at that point.

There is also a script someone has floating around, that will take hours of googling to find which automates the entire process and does it a few other ways should the first fail.

EDIT: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/virtual_pc_guy/2010/11/11/configuring-remote-management-of-hyper-v-server-in-a-workgroup/

Thats the link. it was a lot easier to find then i remember. Keep in mind that you don't have a domain so make sure you configure it to connect with the local credentials of the hyper-v server and not the local workstation.