3 Computer is system setup.

Go to solution Solved by SCHISCHKA,

put ubuntu or debian on all three and use one as a local apt cache so youre not downloading 3X more updates than you need to.

I am building three new computers this weekend and I need some ideas for the operating systems.

1. Media center/YouTube uploader - I was thinking of using Mythbuntu front end/back end combo setup. This will be for viewing Netflix and also uploading YouTube videos on my channel.

2. Storage server - I don't know, but maybe freenas? It just has to be able to be accessed by windows and other Linux machines

3. Encoder - this will be the most complicated. I will probably just use ubuntu and play it simple for this machine.

Any different recommendations?

Just make sure to quote me or tag me @Implosivetech

i like trains 🙂

4 minutes ago, Implosivetech said:

~snip~

Why not use 1 machine with VMs? 3 Linux VMs should be able to achieve all you need. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Why not use 1 machine with VMs? 3 Linux VMs should be able to achieve all you need. 

1. I'm getting not the newest parts and a single machine won't be able to hold that up

2. Do you recommend any changes In the OS's?

i like trains 🙂

1 minute ago, Implosivetech said:

1. I'm getting not the newest parts and a single machine won't be able to hold that up

2. Do you recommend any changes In the OS's?

Any reason why you need mythbuntu? For uploading youtube videos and netlflix, a more general purpose OS like ubuntu should be more than enough (you should also be able integrate the encoder into this machine).

You can use freeNAS for file storage, but keep in mind that freeNAS has a learning curve. It may be better to use linux if you dont want to invest the time to learn the OS.  

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

Any reason why you need mythbuntu? For uploading youtube videos and netlflix, a more general purpose OS like ubuntu should be more than enough (you should also be able integrate the encoder into this machine).

You can use freeNAS for file storage, but keep in mind that freeNAS has a learning curve. It may be better to use linux if you dont want to invest the time to learn the OS.  

1. Mythbuntu because of its purpose to be a home theatre. This pc will be upstairs away from the rest on a laptop. Mythbuntu is just ubuntu but with less features, so it uses less space, since I am limited on space to 16gb for a flash drive, but if ubuntu can be installed on a flash drive of that size, just let me know and I will use that instead.

2. What form of Linux would I use instead of freenas. Also, I would need this to support raid if possible.

i like trains 🙂

22 minutes ago, Implosivetech said:

2. What form of Linux would I use instead of freenas. Also, I would need this to support raid if possible.

Unfortunately, I don't know nearly enough about Linux and various distros to offer a recommendation. You can of course use freeNAS, but as I mentioned it has a learning curve and the hardware requirements are quite a bit higher than other Linux solutions. 

I have only ever used ubuntu, and it worked very well as a basic server/NAS for the time I had it running. 

3 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Unfortunately, I don't know nearly enough about Linux and various distros to offer a recommendation. You can of course use freeNAS, but as I mentioned it has a learning curve and the hardware requirements are quite a bit higher than other Linux solutions. 

I have only ever used ubuntu, and it worked very well as a basic server/NAS for the time I had it running. 

K then.

i like trains 🙂

put ubuntu or debian on all three and use one as a local apt cache so youre not downloading 3X more updates than you need to.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_