M.2 SSD worth it?

Squibbies18
Go to solution Solved by Maudima,

Unless by worth you mean the seconds you shave off with workflows that handle really big files, probably not. There is something to be said for the space savings and form factor if you want more of that in your life. If you're talking about Windows/game performance, totally not worth the extra cost if you're looking at price/performance. 

Edit: the reason it doesn't make much of a difference is that the extra speed doesn't come in when opening files. The seek time on both is pretty much instant. The benefit is visible when handling files that are multiple times the max read/write.

Recently i bought a new AM3 motherboard since my one died and this one comes with an M.2 slot. I already have an SSD with my OS and games i uses frequently on so would it be better for me to get an M.2 SSD, is the performance difference worth it? 

not really, not unless you need the extra, like I have a 256gb m.2 with windows drivers and essential programs. I have a 525gb mx300 with favourite games on and a TB HDD for the rest.

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Nope, a NVMe SSD barely makes a difference compared to an AHCI SSD in day to day usage :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Unless by worth you mean the seconds you shave off with workflows that handle really big files, probably not. There is something to be said for the space savings and form factor if you want more of that in your life. If you're talking about Windows/game performance, totally not worth the extra cost if you're looking at price/performance. 

Edit: the reason it doesn't make much of a difference is that the extra speed doesn't come in when opening files. The seek time on both is pretty much instant. The benefit is visible when handling files that are multiple times the max read/write.

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕