Diagnosing network issues?

Mercay

Feels like I'm on here every day with a new issue, but whatever, a bit of assistance would be appreciated.

Recently the internet to my apartment is acting strange. Occasional lag in some games (more than might be expected) and some games refusing to connect to any online service at all, even though the internet connection is seemingly stable. Windows never alerts to a loss of internet connection.

Phones connected to the wifi looses internet connection in regular intervals for a few minutes at a time, 4 different phones get the exact same problem.

I bypassed the router and plugged my computer straight into the fiber modem with no difference as a result. I suppose this means the router is not the problem.

If I run a speedtest I even get a bit more than the 250/100 I pay for.

Is there any program or utility I can run to be able to properly diagnose networking problems such as this?

Thank you.

Try contacting your isp. They might be able to help.

I would say it's probably something worth contacting your provider about, try rebooting your router, it frees up the RAM inside and usually resolves connection issues like this. It may be that you need a new router (which your provider should supply free providing it's faulty).

Jordan Bell

Forensic Cybersecurity Analyst (6YR Experience)

GSN Global (GSN UK)

--------------------------------

Any advice given is purely independent of GSN Global and its affiliates, we can't be held accountable for actions you may take on your software/hardware under our advisement. Please visit GSN UK online for more information about SLA-based services we provide.

1 minute ago, Sukhman said:

Try contacting your isp. They might be able to help.

Aye I will do so tomorrow, just figured if there was something I could do now to help the process.

1 minute ago, DrBell17 said:

I would say it's probably something worth contacting your provider about, try rebooting your router, it frees up the RAM inside and usually resolves connection issues like this. It may be that you need a new router (which your provider should supply free providing it's faulty).

Yeah I've tried rebooting both the router and the modem to no avail :/

1 minute ago, Mercay said:

Aye I will do so tomorrow, just figured if there was something I could do now to help the process.

In the meantime, check and make sure the built-in Firewall on the router isn't causing any issues, also your latency may be a problem, what ping do you typically get on Speedtest.net? Also when using Speedtest, it's worth running the test on countries that game servers are likely to be hosted in (e.g. UK, US, Canada etc.) as this can give you a more accurate idea of your latency and may explain any intermittent connectivity issues.

Jordan Bell

GSN Global (GSN UK)

Any advice given is purely independent of GSN Global and its affiliates, we can't be held accountable for actions you may take on your software/hardware under our advisement. Please visit GSN UK online for more information about SLA-based services we provide.

12 minutes ago, DrBell17 said:

In the meantime, check and make sure the built-in Firewall on the router isn't causing any issues, also your latency may be a problem, what ping do you typically get on Speedtest.net? Also when using Speedtest, it's worth running the test on countries that game servers are likely to be hosted in (e.g. UK, US, Canada etc.) as this can give you a more accurate idea of your latency and may explain any intermittent connectivity issues.

Will check the firewall tomorrow too then. Ping is as it usually is, around 6ms to the point I normally test from.

If I try it from germany its about 23ms which seems just fine right?

Feels like the call to my internet provider will definitely have to happen :P

I would definitely give them a call, game servers are slightly different to speedtest ones however, but yes the 23ms doesn't seem bad. :)

Jordan Bell

GSN Global (GSN UK)