Go to solution Solved by m0k,

@Jonny24

remove your heatsink, 

clean off the old thermal paste from the cpu and heatsink

reapply new thermal paste on the cpu

install the cooler again

and report?

Dear Community,

recently i run a Aida64 stability test and the reults were horrible. After approx. 15 Seconds my CPU started thermal throtteling. Im currently running a RAJINITEK Rhea and have neve expirienced something like this before. Any guesses whats wrong?

thanks in advance,

Jonny

stabilitytest.png

Old dried up thermal paste or the cooler needs reseating. Could be something worse, but I would start with this. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Can you take a photo of inside your build?

Could be many problems...

Old thermal paste

cooler positioned wrong

Overclock

@Jonny24

remove your heatsink, 

clean off the old thermal paste from the cpu and heatsink

reapply new thermal paste on the cpu

install the cooler again

and report?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

5 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Old dried up thermal paste or the cooler needs reseating. Could be something worse, but I would start with this. :)

Thanks, ill start with this and post an Update afterwards, any tips on thermal paste paste?

2 minutes ago, Jonny24 said:

Thanks, ill start with this and post an Update afterwards, any tips on thermal paste paste?

DOT METHOD WINS!!!!!!!

is that on the 4790k listed on your profile?

it may be dust buildup on the cooler, the 4790k doesnt need much dust before towers start to really lack.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

is that on the 4790k listed on your profile?

it may be dust buildup on the cooler, the 4790k doesnt need much dust before towers start to really lack.

Yes it is, but as you mention this, i cleaned it like 4 weeks ago, maybe i messed up something during this

5 minutes ago, Jonny24 said:

because the forum ate my post (i've been relying on the "recover post after refresh" feature too much :P) this will be a bit of a TLDR: you need to use a method that contradicts with what you're scared of doing wrong:

- if you're scared of putting too much, you need a method with which you easily can put too much like the X method, because you'll automaticly try to make the lines in the X as thin as you can.

- if you're scared of putting too little, you need a method with which you can easily put too little like the pea/dot method, because it looks like WAY more thermal paste than it actually is.

- if you're scared of screwing up in general, the "carey holzeman spread" in other words, the buisiness card method, because it is a truly waste of your time, but it guarantees an even coverage. however with your cooler i'd suggest to apply it to the cooler rather than the processor, because of the uneven surface on the cooler.

well, when you spend $15 on a heat sink and fan that works well on an 88watt or less cpu really well and try to cool something hotter with it.................

what cpu you trying to cool?

i7 4790k, as i siad never expirienced it before

30 minutes ago, Jonny24 said:

It's worse to not have enough than having too much. I use the pea size method and go by feel. :) Also your cooler have the locking tabs which I personally hate with passion, so make sure they are open before putting the cooler in and double check if they're locked after the fact.

cpu-dab.jpg

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Frankie said:

It's worse to not have enough than having too much. I use the pea size method and go by feel. :) Also your cooler have the locking tabs which I personally hate with passion, so make sure they are open before putting the cooler in and double check if they're locked after the fact.

cpu-dab.jpg

I don't get the "pea" sized method. No one ever uses the size of a pea! Peas are bigger than that!

4 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I don't get the "pea" sized method. No one ever uses the size of a pea! Peas are bigger than that!

Well it's called pea because it's widely known and just for comparison. I wouldn't overthink it. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Well it's called pea because it's widely known and just for comparison. I wouldn't overthink it. :)

I use a line anyway. Line method FTW. You can't dispute what a LINE looks like. ;) 

14 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I use a line anyway. Line method FTW. You can't dispute what a LINE looks like. ;) 

That works just fine too, but then you can run into how long, wide, high. Goes both ways. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I cleand the IHS and the Heatsink, it was pretty messy and also dry compared to the new thermal compoud i applied,  i used a little to much in the first place, but after i cleaned the mess, its working alright now. 

Thanks for your help guys!

stabilitytest.png