Reliable gaming HDD

So my Samsung HDD died at 27k hours and my WDC just clocked in 20k hours when it started sounding kinda "springy". Instead of that snappy sound when the header moves it now sounds more like someone is playing with a small spring. Of course, I started looking for a new drive a few months ago when the WDC throwed a Reallocated Sectors Count.

What I found by blackblazes data that they release from time to time is that the HGST Deskstar NAS HDN724040ALE640 64MB 4TB 3.5" (Yes that one in specific) lasted longest. However I'm not sure of its performance.

Since I only have an 250 GB SSD, I use it for windows+startups and cache the HDD with 60GB, so performance is kinda just semi-ish important and I keep all my files backed up with Bittorrent Sync across two other devices.

I even had my HDDs in raid 0 before the samsung one died. It's just the pain of finding a new HDD that I wish to relieve my future self from. I could live with 2TB.

Ideas?

Excuse my broken keyboard

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x

GPU - RX Vega 64

SSD - Samsung 970 M.2 500GB

HDD - WD Black 4TB

Mobo - Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming

RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

PSU - Corsair RM1000x

Wow, they are not good stats ... but are you quoting PowerOn hrs or SpinUp hrs?

I have some samsung that have 46k poweron hrs and never skipped a beat (11k spinUp).

you may be abusing them badly if they are spinning all the time ... 

i have 4 WD Red Pro drives in 4tb there good no problems and speeds about 160ish mbps for 1 drive but its a nas drive ifi was you i would look at the WD Black line of drives they seem to be good and also have goodish speeds though i havnt used a WD Black drives in ages. i woonder though if both drives died so fast could something be wrong killing your drives faster because drives should last much much much longer then 20 and 27 hours unless your hitting them with a hammer.

Ignore Backblaze's data, it's completely useless for comparing HDD reliability. 

Seagate Barracuda and WD Blue are both good desktop drives. You can go for a WD Black if you want the peace of mind from the 5 year warranty. There's no point in going for a NAS drive, as the extra features such as vibration sensors and TLER are not going to make a difference in a normal desktop use case. 

5 minutes ago, Rohime said:

Wow, they are not good stats ... but are you quoting PowerOn hrs or SpinUp hrs?

I have some samsung that have 46k poweron hrs and never skipped a beat (11k spinUp).

you may be abusing them badly if they are spinning all the time ... 

PowerOn, won't give me a SpinUp value, but they basically spun all the time when they were in raid for two-three years, not sure why.

I felt like 20k power on hours was nice, I mean that's like three years of non-stop running?

I've even gone through a mobo+cpu+psu change since, and this one still seems to search for a file every 30 sec. Surely they're not meant to stop spinning while I'm active at the computer, right? :S

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x

GPU - RX Vega 64

HDD - WD Black 4TB

PSU - Corsair RM1000x

if your after speed i believe that the wd black drives would be your best bet and yeah they have a long warranty if you want more speed out of them though you could get 2 1tb blacks and run them in raid 0 should get around 300mbps. 

Are the blacks really that much better tho? I see techies running blue and all for their main disks. Since my disks never really turned of I figured a NAS disk to be best, but maybe the black handles that good too?

Also, any other suggestions than the blacks? They don't have a 3TB model and the 4TB is quite pricey :c

What could've killed them was that they were in the same bay, screwed tightly to it. Maybe they disliked the vibrations from eachother.

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x

GPU - RX Vega 64

HDD - WD Black 4TB

PSU - Corsair RM1000x

also the information that backblaze stats they release is useful but for the most part is irrelevant they would most likley be drives that are used 24/7 so under i would guess somewhat heavy loads, so if you got the same drives as there best you could end up with different results, now i would imagine that it would be better for you but maybe not hard to say

17 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Ignore Backblaze's data, it's completely useless for comparing HDD reliability. 

Seagate Barracuda and WD Blue are both good desktop drives. You can go for a WD Black if you want the peace of mind from the 5 year warranty. There's no point in going for a NAS drive, as the extra features such as vibration sensors and TLER are not going to make a difference in a normal desktop use case. 

It seems I keep my drives spinning more than I should, are the blacks still better than the NASes for that?

I do have several devices syncing music and pictures back and forth, together with the Linux distros I seed and the offline Google Drive.

Now when you guys mention it, except for the well maintained environment and proper cooling, I probably could had treated them better.

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x

GPU - RX Vega 64

HDD - WD Black 4TB

PSU - Corsair RM1000x

4 minutes ago, Petoovee said:

It seems I keep my drives spinning more than I should, are the blacks still better than the NASes for that?

I do have several devices syncing music and pictures back and forth, together with the Linux distros I seed and the offline Google Drive.

Now when you guys mention it, except for the well maintained environment and proper cooling, I probably could had treated them better.

Most drives can cope with spinning 24/7, even if they're not specifically designed for it. When can kill them is if they're constantly being written to during those times. That's where a NAS drive may be a better option, though they are typically a little slower than desktop drives. No enough to make a huge difference, mind you. 

WD Blacks are very reliable, you can see how much faith WD has in them by the 5 year warranty. 

41 minutes ago, Petoovee said:

So my Samsung HDD died at 27k hours and my WDC just clocked in 20k hours when it started sounding kinda "springy". Instead of that snappy sound when the header moves it now sounds more like someone is playing with a small spring. Of course, I started looking for a new drive a few months ago when the WDC throwed a Reallocated Sectors Count.

What I found by blackblazes data that they release from time to time is that the HGST Deskstar NAS HDN724040ALE640 64MB 4TB 3.5" (Yes that one in specific) lasted longest. However I'm not sure of its performance.

Since I only have an 250 GB SSD, I use it for windows+startups and cache the HDD with 60GB, so performance is kinda just semi-ish important and I keep all my files backed up with Bittorrent Sync across two other devices.

I even had my HDDs in raid 0 before the samsung one died. It's just the pain of finding a new HDD that I wish to relieve my future self from. I could live with 2TB.

Ideas?

WD are amazing. the warranty on the drives is quite long.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz