eGPU

kijahn

Ok, so Im building an eGPU and my laptop doesn't have an access port nor do I want to screw or unscrew parts when I want to take it places. So I thought I would use a pcie mini to usb 3.0 adapter. Do you think this would work?

Specs.

Laptop- Asus x555D

GPU- GTX 560

Dock- GDC Beast laptop graphics extender. 

Thank you

Um.... What are you planning on doing with it? You're going to severely bottleneck with a PCIe to USB 3 adapter. Not nearly enough support for bandwidth. If you're video editing, I guess this could be doable; however, I would recommend against it for anything else, such as gaming.

the speed would be limited by the usb 3.0 port you would want a mini pcie to thunderbolt or at the the very least mini pcie to usb 3.1

usb 3 isn't pci based so it wont work at all.
you need a thunderbolt connection, m sata / m.2 connection (which means opening up the pc so that's a no go) or one of those old express card ports found on business and engineer laptops so that is unlikely aswell. doable but stupid cause you would have to buy an new old laptop. if you want an egpu you would also need a new laptop which if you dont want a completely new one like a razer blade stealth or alienware or whatever has a thunderbolt 3 connection on it then you would have to buy an old macbook pro with thunderbolt 2 on it or something like a.. hp 8560w laptop where that kit you want to use would work without taking the bottom of the laptop off. 

hope it helped clearing things up abit otherwise feel free to ask 

Thank you 

3 hours ago, hearthofsin said:

usb 3 isn't pci based so it wont work at all.
you need a thunderbolt connection, m sata / m.2 connection (which means opening up the pc so that's a no go) or one of those old express card ports found on business and engineer laptops so that is unlikely aswell. doable but stupid cause you would have to buy an new old laptop. if you want an egpu you would also need a new laptop which if you dont want a completely new one like a razer blade stealth or alienware or whatever has a thunderbolt 3 connection on it then you would have to buy an old macbook pro with thunderbolt 2 on it or something like a.. hp 8560w laptop where that kit you want to use would work without taking the bottom of the laptop off. 

hope it helped clearing things up abit otherwise feel free to ask 

I had a backup plan that I know would work but it requires a bit of cutting so I was hoping this would work but thank you. My lap top does't have an access panel but it has all the ports I need. So it's going to be a pain.