I bought a Blackberry Curve as my daily driver (1st day review)

imPixelTV

So yesterday (15/1/17) I bought my brand new, factory sealed Blackberry Curve 9300 for £34. I'll be using this as my main phone up until June-ish.

I couldn't believe I found a new Blackberry on sale in a supermarket. They had sale signs up and everything for it, I dread to think how long it's been in the shop, I'm guessing since 2011 since it had TMobile UK branding and you haven't been able to buy from them since around 2011 due to the merge with Orange, making EE

Unboxing was fairly simple, just the phone, cables, SIM card (Full size SIM) and the paperwork. I don't have pictures unfortunately, but I unboxed the thing in the middle of Asda too, it reminded me of the time when I was the only person in my house without a blackberry.

Turning it on right off the bat it looks very dated, just as I expected. I kinda like it tho.

Getting through setup was easy enough, no signups, no bullshit.

Now it's all set up it's a fairly standard experience, I had to update Blackberry App World to get apps and I had to update Blackberry OS to a newer version (Blackberry OS 6). The web browser is usable, but it hasn't been updated since 2011 so my expectations were low, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Holy shit this thing is snappy. It's hands down the fastest phone I've ever used. (not spec wise)

The camera isn't great to be honest, but I wasn't expecting DSLR quality from a low-end phone from 2010.

The screen is OK, whatismybrowser.com said it was 24bit but methinks it's 16bit. The refresh rate is noticeable in apps like Blackberry App World

Connecting it to my PC with the included USB cable (it came with a wall adapter with a non removable cable and a USB to Micro USB cable) was simple, and the Blackberry Desktop Software is easy to use but it takes a while to realize that the phone is connected.

Coming back to apps, WhatsApp's cut-off date is fast approaching, and the latest version of BBM doesn't work with this phone. I wouldn't have used either of these as I prefer to use my 5000 monthly texts.

To conclude, so far it's great and I'm yet to run in to a problem. It's fast and simple yet dated. However it's still a good phone. I'll do a follow up to this post in a few months time.

(TL;DR I bought a blackberry and it's great)

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

I used to have something similar. It was pretty horrible, but it lasted me about four years. It still works; it's just junk.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

9 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I used to have something similar. It was pretty horrible, but it lasted me about four years. It still works; it's just junk.

I just need something that can call and text tbh lol

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

5 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

I just need something that can call and text tbh lol

Certainly, and while I appreciate the physical QWERTY keypad, I'd argue that it doesn't quite compare to a £50 android phone. 

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

Certainly, and while I appreciate the physical QWERTY keypad, I'd argue that it doesn't quite compare to a £50 android phone. 

it was either this or a £30 chinese android phone lol

bregsit

Spoiler

1 minute ago, imPixelTV said:

it was either this or a £30 chinese android phone lol

Or you could save up a bit and get a £50 or a £75 Android phone.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Or you could save up a bit and get a £50 or a £75 Android phone.

too late, i'd rather spend on my pc anyway lol

bregsit

Spoiler