PROJECT 3775

MeepLikesToBuildPc's

Hey Guys! Welcome to my sort-of Retro 775 build in my scrapped Dell Dimension 3000 case. I had nothing to do, so I thought; Well, let's make a combination of 2009 and 2004 parts into a cool retro looking computer. And me trying to overclock on the stock cooler, which kinda worked, meh, lol. Also, typing this from my 2006 iMac which isn't a problem, but I am using the Apple Wireless keyboard with it and they key actuation force is extremely high, they are higher then even MX Green switches I think (The stiffest MX switches) I don't know if it's normal for the 1st gen apple wireless KB but at least my fingers ar getting a workout lol.

SPECS!:

C2Q Q8400 @2,6GHZ Stock, 3.1 GHZ Overclocked 

4GB 800MHz TransCend DDRII

ASUS P5KPL AM 775 Mobo

Delta 300W PSU

250GB Seagate Barracuda

nVidia 7300GT (I would put a 3870 in that I had laying around but the PSU does not have PCIe Power! :( )

Let's START!

The build was already sort of made, but I needed some real airflow management. you will see alot of hippie solutions here, If you're not into weird solutions to things, go away, lol!

The HDD was mounted in the front, in a caddy, like this:IMG_2098.JPG

And that was totally bad for the airflow, because there's a big vent in the front to let air in but the HDD is blocking it. so, out it goes!

IMG_2100.JPG

There we go. also, note I removed the Front Panel connector temporarily for better access

Yes, it's the stock dell FP connector, it matched up with the ASUS mobo and works perfectly!

Note the black cable in the corner of the case going from the front panel outputs to the mobo that was originally there; It was for audio, but the current mobo does not work with it, so let me remove it:

IMG_2104.JPGIMG_2105.JPG

Cable removed, and FP outputs put back to the case and made sure no wires touching after having been cut. 

Now, we have to find a way to mount the HDD! We removed it's original place!

Well, I still had a Sharkoon 2/3.5" to 5.25" bay adapter, so let's use that!

IMG_2110.JPG

Works like a charm. let's put it in and connect it!

IMG_2117.JPGIMG_2118.JPG

Awesome! Now, Let's install the fan in a funny way, with double sided tape!

IMG_2116.JPGWorks fine! Let's get on with the other stuff. I needed an exhaust fan! But I just rearranged my room and don't know where my box of case fans is. So, let's grab an unused Intel 1151 cooler and remove the heatsink, and just stick it in the back exhaust vent! Looks weird, works great. It has tons of positive pressure, and at the back of the computer it's like a fan! It blows tons of air out of the PC so I am satisfied although it looks funny.IMG_2119.JPG

Oh! And I forgot! My poor 7300GT!! How was that thing gonna run cool at some 1600MHZ FSB? Well, I still had an old AMD CPU Fan.. So, here it is! An AMD fan cooling of an nVidia passive card! lol!

IMG_2097.JPG

Tada! This was connected to the iNtel exhaust fan with a Noctua Y splitter I had laying around. Card stays under 60C at ALL times!

And then, the BOOT test:IMG_2121.JPG

IT WORKS! Yay! My battery ran out on my 7+ after this pic, will post more pics soon and benchmarks. also will show the case. Temps are under 80C at 3.2GHZ @1.36V!

To Be continued....

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

not everybody on this site would understand why you did this, and may even berate you for doing it, but I understand. keep the pics/info coming.

1 minute ago, LabRat said:

not everybody on this site would understand why you did this, and may even berate you for doing it, but I understand. keep the pics/info coming.

haha, I honestly don't care what people think. Leave a nice comment if you liked it, If you didn't like it, move on. as simple as that!

I want to fuck around with hardware from time to time and I'm not gonna do that on Meep (my beautiful main build i5, 780, etc) so why not do this. 

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Nice use of a spare jet engine old intel stock fan here! 

... My only problem with the built is that everywhere where I'm looking at I have to cringe about rainbow colored cables/connectors and jeez that monitors ratio is just awful.

(subbed just for the lulz)

12 hours ago, Narnash said:

Nice use of a spare jet engine old intel stock fan here! 

... My only problem with the built is that everywhere where I'm looking at I have to cringe about rainbow colored cables/connectors and jeez that monitors ratio is just awful.

(subbed just for the lulz)

Haha, yeah it's an OEM PSU so yeah, it's not ment to be pretty. And that monitor, yeah, its 4:3. But it still works fine, so why not use it.