Fix my new GE62VR Laptop Megathread

Armakar

recently posted about my shitty NEW laptop that is suppoused to be " VR READY " lagging in terraria (5fps)  and having 100% CPU usaage constantly, network not working, webcam not working and bluescrens etc. This laptop was unboxed today and i've noticed a stupid amount of problems - the laptop is an MSI GE62VR

Here's a list of problems. If anyone has insight into how I can fix them i'd be extremely grateful.

1 - Random bluescreen 5 minutes after booting while trying to install something - Unknown

2 - Crackling sound coming from speakers when I launched terraria - Unknown

3 - Lagging hard in terraria - SEMI FIXED - Reinstalled terraria + GPU drivers downloaded ( Also set GPU as default in control panel but it still stutters a bit)

4 - 100% CPU usage whilst idling - Unknown

5 - In some apps, click button just doens't work for a few seconds.

Webcam not working - FIXED (MSI disabled the webcam for some reason)

Wifi constantly disconnecting - Seemingly fixed ( driver updates )

Fixes i've tried : 

1 - No idea

2 - No idea

3 - Reinstalled terraria, graphics card drivers updated, set GPU as default in Nvidia controll pannel

Result : Less lag, still laggy.

4 - No idea

5 - Changing click delay

So, here's my questions, i'd highly appriciate any answers or potential solutions to the above problems.

Should i7 6700HQ really lag in TERRARIA anyway?!?!

How the hell do I set my 1060 to be the default graphics device?

Why the fuck am I getting 100% CPU usage while idling?

Is this normal to have to do all this bullshit to fix issues with a NEW laptop?

Bluescreen on new laptop wtf?

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

You could try a complete reinstallation of Windows. Thats probably a good thing to do with new notebooks anyways.

If a new Windows still has all these problems, just RMA the notebook, because then there should be something pretty wrong with it.

Get GPU drivers from Nvidia and Intel respectively (you need to install both, if you have this dual GPU switching stuff)

All other drives you could get from MSI or look at the manufracturer of the chip if they have a newer version.

Optionally you could look for a new BIOS version. There is also a Firmware tab, never have seen it might help?

All MSI downloads are right here: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GE62VR-6RF-Apache-Pro.html#down-bios

NVIDIA driver: http://www.nvidia.com/download/scan.aspx?lang=en-us

Intel GPU driver: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers.html

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

I would also recommend a new clean install of Windows. Otherwise your laggyness in games and 100% cpu usage could be related to the fact that since it's new... it's probably doing a lot of background work updating things. Make sure windows updates are all done.

• 9 months later...

Hi, I know it's a bit old, but for your 100% CPU usage (I had the same problem), you just have to :

+ deactivate X-boost (usb and storage)

+deactivate VR-Ready

at Dragon center