New Build from old server harware

Hey sorry if someone has already asked about this or a like topic but I wasn't able to find much on the matter.

I am currently building a daily driver for myself and it is with server parts that I'm not super familiar with. I am wondering if I have 2 xeon x5690 procs would it be worth while to max out my board's ram at 128 or should I not bother. I've found the ram that I want in a pack of (8x16gb) for about 295USD. I think that this is a fairly good deal but even so as far as gaming goes is this even necessary or should I stick with a smaller amount?

Thanks!

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

That is horrid for gaming, only four to six of your weak cores would be used in games. And no game absolutely needs more than 8gb of ram.

4 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Hey sorry if someone has already asked about this or a like topic but I wasn't able to find much on the matter.

I am currently building a daily driver for myself and it is with server parts that I'm not super familiar with. I am wondering if I have 2 xeon x5690 procs would it be worth while to max out my board's ram at 128 or should I not bother. I've found the ram that I want in a pack of (8x16gb) for about 295USD. I think that this is a fairly good deal but even so as far as gaming goes is this even necessary or should I stick with a smaller amount?

Thanks!

16GB is more than enough if you are just gaming. 24-32GB if you are doing a lot of other heavy duty tasks at the same time. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

19 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

That is horrid for gaming, only four to six of your weak cores would be used in games. And no game absolutely needs more than 8gb of ram.

I'm not super concerned with the quality of the cores as I got the bulk of the server for free and what I've been using for the last few years hardly works at all. I've been using a dual core amd e-350 (using might be too stong a word in some situations.) I realize that the 5690 isnt even close to being a competitor with current cpus but it is still a big improvement in my case.

In your opinion, as far as the ram goes for the price do you think that would be a good value or would I be better off sticking with less seeing as I probably wont need it unless I decide to do something very taxing (this would probably be rare)

Also I forgot to ask, does having two 5690's help with gaming or does it not really make a difference having the extra cores if they are weak anyway?

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

1)Going with less ram is certainly a good idea, for that mobo two sticks of 8gb is probably a good place to start.

2)no, only 4-6 cores of a single cpu will be used in games, however if you say wanted to render video to another hard drive while playing something, then 2 cpus will be helpful.

1 hour ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Thanks!

Instead of spending so much on RAM, find out if your Motherboard can OC(Server boards usually can't) and if it can't, then spend some money getting a used X58 motherboard that supports the X5690. EVGA FTW3, SLI3 rev1.1&1.2, classified and Asus high end boards do I believe; you'll have to look up the other brands. Once you get your hands on one, overclock the CPU to 4.4GHZ and you should have no issue maxing out modern games. (Plus you'll have a backup CPU if anything goes wrong, or can just use the server parts to build a home NAS or something fun)

What model is your server board?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

3 hours ago, asand1 said:

What model is your server board?

I'm having trouble finding the board info but it is the poweredge t410

Below is the basic spec sheet

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/pedge_t410_specsheet_new.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjql6Sj_LbRAhXDlFQKHcijATkQFggmMAA&sig2=rhxZHS0xKL2A5XY0Zne-tw&usg=AFQjCNGmqDSFzzvoLGfezRHicV76QKZt6A

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

That is what I had originally thought but I'm not on the market for processors very often so im not very familiar with how they compare with one another. Ive been looking up benchmarks but that can only get you so far

I'm glad to hear that although they are a few years old they arent bad :)

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

Also I'm excited that I am getting two of them

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

so this might be a silly question but what do you mean by daily driver because theres hardly any programs i can think of that you would need 128gb of ram i could understand if your trying to build a cheap multicore computer for deep learning or maybe photoshop if your working with huge images with tones of layers but 128gb or even 2 xeon x5690  would be overkill for most people as a daily driver. most people go for lower power needs enough graphics and processing power to drive programs like vlc or chrome not deep learning stuff. but like i said it depends what you mean by daily driver.

8 hours ago, joshfrog said:

so this might be a silly question but what do you mean by daily driver because theres hardly any programs i can think of that you would need 128gb of ram i could understand if your trying to build a cheap multicore computer for deep learning or maybe photoshop if your working with huge images with tones of layers but 128gb or even 2 xeon x5690  would be overkill for most people as a daily driver. most people go for lower power needs enough graphics and processing power to drive programs like vlc or chrome not deep learning stuff. but like i said it depends what you mean by daily driver.

It is overkill. Even with it being overkill I will be using this for any and everything except if I need to bring my laptop somewhere for something easy to handle, my laptop isn't very powerful. The only reason I'm going so overkill is because I am getting several parts of the build for free and the ones I'm not getting for free I am getting for a very good deal. I might start a post somewhere for ideas on how I could better use the potential of the computer.

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

ahhh well i have 7 computers myself so i cant really talk about not having overkill. if you have the money for the amount of ram and you want it then id say got for it but there wouldnt be much that will use it all however you could look at running a ram disk. that would let you use some of the ram to speed up programs you may use.

depending on what you do having that much ram, cpu cores you could look at using some of it for virtual machines if it supports it or there projects like folding at home, there are many many options for what you could use it for it just comes down to you and what you do already.

22 hours ago, EminentSun said:

Just Cause 3 absolutely requires more than 8gb of ram.

The rest of your point is correct, however.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

22 hours ago, EminentSun said:

18 hours ago, asand1 said:

4 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Just Cause 3 absolutely requires more than 8gb of ram.

The rest of your point is correct, however.

I am getting mixed messages about the strength of my cores, if they are weak what is it about them that makes them weak? I'm not super familiar with how to judge the strength of cores

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

People are not familiar with the 1366 Xeons and assume that Server CPUs are worthless and that none are capable of OC. It's simply ignorance. That fact is these particular Xeons are capable of OC, have good IPC and fairly high base clocks. They do lack some technologies, but meh.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

Dual X5690, 14,273 in Passmark http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+X5690+%40+3.47GHz&id=1314&cpuCount=2

VS

i7 6700K, 11,093 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-6700K+%40+4.00GHz&id=2565

You already have the parts, don't listen to the naysayers. It'll be pretty sweet.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

27 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Dual X5690, 14,273 in Passmark http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+X5690+%40+3.47GHz&id=1314&cpuCount=2

VS

i7 6700K, 11,093 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-6700K+%40+4.00GHz&id=2565

You already have the parts, don't listen to the naysayers. It'll be pretty sweet.

Hey thanks a lot, that was really nice. even if you would have explained some way that they were bad you were nice and you gave actual evidence of what you were proving and I appreciate that

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

32 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Hey thanks a lot, that was really nice. even if you would have explained some way that they were bad you were nice and you gave actual evidence of what you were proving and I appreciate that

Ya don't worry, your CPU is fine and it will last for awhile longer. You can see a video here comparing the X5650 overclocked to a 5820k also overclocked.

The X5650 is weaker than the CPU you have so you should be able to push yours further and get more performance. Don't go for the 128gb ram, you won't need it or even use 1/3 of it unless you are doing some serious video rendering or hosting multiple client PCs.

If I were you, I would go with 16GB(32GB if you want epeen), a good X58 motherboard, a really good air or closed loop CPU cooler and a good SSD. Put your system together, push that CPU to 4.2-4.4GHz, which should be fairly easy on those xeons and enjoy gaming on ultra settings.