New ISP?

Sir Asvald

Hello guys, I'm currently looking for good ISP. I'm living in Birmingham. I'm currently with Virgin Media. They are terrible, horrible call center. They take forever to solve the problem. We've had ongoing problems fro last 2 months now. The internet speeds are really bad. We've also had the router replaced 2 times. I'm currently living with 3 other students who are complaining about the internet. 

These are the speeds during the day:

5949303919.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Moving to another provider will likely require a new contract and a BT line as all of the others in the UK are reliant on a BT line to function. 

The decent residential options are BT and PlusNet but they both depend on how far away from the local BT exchange you are.  This is what determines the speed you will get.

I would instead, start speaking to the CEO's office at VirginMedia and get them to get an engineer out to review that superhub.  CEO.Office@virginmedia.co.uk  email them with your area ID, information regarding your account and a fully detailed description of your problems.

Some questions I would have for you and I may even be able to assist you myself (no I do not work for Virgin);

• Are you using the SuperHub in Router or Modem Mode?
  • Are you performing speed testing via a wireless or wired connection?
  • What package/speed are you paying for with VirginMedia
  • What are the downstream and upstream power figures on the SuperHub?
    usually access; http://192.168.100.1 and hit connection status

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

I'm going to say you and your roommates simply need to upgrade your package/speed.

Are you currently getting what you pay for?

4 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Moving to another provider will likely require a new contract and a BT line as all of the others in the UK are reliant on a BT line to function. 

The decent residential options are BT and PlusNet but they both depend on how far away from the local BT exchange you are.  This is what determines the speed you will get.

I would instead, start speaking to the CEO's office at VirginMedia and get them to get an engineer out to review that superhub.  CEO.Office@virginmedia.co.uk  email them with your area ID, information regarding your account and a fully detailed description of your problems.

Some questions I would have for you and I may even be able to assist you myself (no I do not work for Virgin);

• Are you using the SuperHub in Router or Modem Mode?
  • Are you performing speed testing via a wireless or wired connection?
  • What package/speed are you paying for with VirginMedia
  • What are the downstream and upstream power figures on the SuperHub?
    usually access; http://192.168.100.1 and hit connection status

Router is acting a router not a modem. Speed are usually 35mbps over Wireless full speeds on Ethernet, then It'll go down to speed which I showed you. We pay for 55mbps down and 4 upload. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

Router is acting a router not a modem. Speed are usually 35mbps over Wireless full speeds on Ethernet, then It'll go down to speed which I showed you. We pay for 55mbps down and 4 upload. 

Gather the downstream and upstream statistics from the SuperHub it will provide the figures on downstream and upstream power levels and attenuation which will tell you if there's a problem on the line

This site will get you to the right location;

http://www.1selfcare.com/vm/vmbbi/super-hub-2/lock/

Copy and paste screenshots of the downstream and upstream information.  Don't worry there is nothing in there which is personal information it is simply line power, attenuation and channel information the router is connected to.

I would suggest running the router in Modem Mode for a full day connected to a single PC.  Just to rule out the common problems that plague the SuperHub which is basically that its a piece of turd.

2 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Gather the downstream and upstream statistics from the SuperHub it will provide the figures on downstream and upstream power levels and attenuation which will tell you if there's a problem on the line

This site will get you to the right location;

http://www.1selfcare.com/vm/vmbbi/super-hub-2/lock/

Copy and paste screenshots of the downstream and upstream information.  Don't worry there is nothing in there which is personal information it is simply line power, attenuation and channel information the router is connected to.

I would suggest running the router in Modem Mode for a full day connected to a single PC.  Just to rule out the common problems that plague the SuperHub which is basically that its a piece of turd.

I won't be able run the router in modem, I don't have a secondary router..

Spoiler

eeedd4c4bc483bc3d1ea37652fcc0845.png

05204778391166951cc40a1faf849e56.png

Just connect it in modem mode to a single PC (Your PC) for testing, put it in modem mode and run a Cat5e cable from the first LAN port to a desktop PC or laptop then perform speed testing and tell everyone else the net will be off while you just test everything to make sure it is or isnt virgin causing it.   It is only temporary while you check if anything else on the network is causing your problems.  Unfortunately the 'Super'Hub has no traffic shaping capability and is generally no use in router mode in multi-tennant scenarios.

I know students, one of them will be hammering it to death with uTorrent or some other shit downloader then complaining its slow.  You are not on the top spec traffic with Virgin and your line is subject to some pretty harsh FUP (Fair Usage Policy) which will cripple your speeds if one of your users hammers it in to the ground.

I would NEVER recommend virgin for a shared household connection where you do not have control over the machines that are on it.  The more you use, the harsher you get punished.

Provide the line specs as per my previous request if you can, otherwise no one will be able to assist you.

1 minute ago, Falconevo said:

Just connect it in modem mode to a single PC (Your PC) for testing, put it in modem mode and run a Cat5e cable from the first LAN port to a desktop PC or laptop then perform speed testing and tell everyone else the net will be off while you just test everything to make sure it is or isnt virgin causing it.   It is only temporary while you check if anything else on the network is causing your problems.  Unfortunately the 'Super'Hub has no traffic shaping capability and is generally no use in router mode in multi-tennant scenarios.

I know students, one of them will be hammering it to death with uTorrent or some other shit downloader then complaining its slow.  You are not on the top spec traffic with Virgin and your line is subject to some pretty harsh FUP (Fair Usage Policy) which will cripple your speeds if one of your users hammers it in to the ground.

I would NEVER recommend virgin for a shared household connection where you do not have control over the machines that are on it.  The more you use, the harsher you get punished.

Provide the line specs as per my previous request if you can, otherwise no one will be able to assist you.

I've posted the upstream and downstream. It's in the spoiler. Click it and you'll see it. As for torrents, They are blocked as I pay for the internet. I don't people torrenting. 

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

I've posted the upstream and downstream. It's in the spoiler. Click it and you'll see it. As for torrents, They are blocked as I pay for the internet. I don't people torrenting. 

Apologies I thought that was your signature :)

Downstream power on the line is too high on DS-2, DS-3 and DS-6 and DS-8.  They are certainly in spec as Virgin allow for +10db on the downstream but I know from experience that it will be causing you problems until the downstream db is dropped.

Here's my suggestion, grab a 6db forward path attenuator from eBay and place it on the coaxial line that enters the superhub.  It should drop the inbound downstream power down and put it closer to what is regarded as 'normal' specification.  Should be a few quid, Virgin will also put one in if you arrange an engineer visit if you can be arsed fighting through their call center.

This guy has 2 of them, ask him if he will sell the 6db separately;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECHNETIX-6-dB-WIDEBAND-ATTENUATOR-Forward-Path-3-db-Broadband-Digital-Signal-/152375963141?hash=item237a50ae05:g:JOoAAOSwJhNXUC4r

4 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Apologies I thought that was your signature :)

Downstream power on the line is too high on DS-2, DS-3 and DS-6 and DS-8.  They are certainly in spec as Virgin allow for +10db on the downstream but I know from experience that it will be causing you problems until the downstream db is dropped.

Here's my suggestion, grab a 6db forward path attenuator from eBay and place it on the coaxial line that enters the superhub.  It should drop the inbound downstream power down and put it closer to what is regarded as 'normal' specification.  Should be a few quid, Virgin will also put one in if you arrange an engineer visit if you can be arsed fighting through their call center.

This guy has 2 of them, ask him if he will sell the 6db separately;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECHNETIX-6-dB-WIDEBAND-ATTENUATOR-Forward-Path-3-db-Broadband-Digital-Signal-/152375963141?hash=item237a50ae05:g:JOoAAOSwJhNXUC4r

Alright. I'll see if that helps. If not, I'll contact VM again... 

Thanks for the help. :) 

4 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Alright. I'll see if that helps. If not, I'll contact VM again... 

Thanks for the help. :) 

Go via the CEO's office on the email address I gave you before.  I got them to replace my SuperHub with a 'PUMA' based DOCSIS3 Modem as the SuperHub was causing me serious packet loss problems even in modem mode.  I use my own custom router though and would of only ever used modem mode regardless as I know how crap the SuperHub really is.