Motherboard haunted! Plz Help

Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

1) Its either your KB&M or Ethernet causing your PC to turn on. 

To fix go into BIOS and disable any wake on xxx stuff you can find then inside windows open device manager and go into the properties for your keyboard, mouse and NIC (do them one at a time), have a look through and find the "Allow this device to wake my computer" option (sorry can't remember where it is from memory) and uncheck it.

2) First thing I'd recommend is update your BIOS to the latest version, its most likely caused by a bug in your BIOS.

Hello my name is Simon, and in the last months I have experienced some problems with my PC, which I think is being caused by my motherboard, but more on that later. 

The first problem that I have been expericing is that my PC, for some reason, has been turning on by it self. Sometimes, it seems random, I will just find my PC turned on. And since I know that it is not somebody else who is doing it, and since I make sure the PC is turned off, each time is shut it down, I think that it may be the motherboard doing it. I am not sure, but with the little knowledge I have of PC components I think that the motherboard would be the most logical assumption to be causing the problem. 

The second problem I have been having, is a little more difficult to explain, but I will try my best. I have been overclocking my CPU, an I7-4770k, but when ever I overclock it, it will for some reason shut down after 30 mins or so, every time I turn the PC on, causing me to force a restart. Now everybody would say that the overclock it not stable, however I do not think that that is the issue, since after the pc have been restarted, the overclock works just fine, and is as stable as anything. This will happen no mather the overclock, just the smallest overclock will trigger it, which is why I do not think that it is just the CPU being a bad draw in the sillicon lottery. I think that it may be the motherboard causing it, again I do not know, I only assume. 

These two problems is annyoing me, since I do not wanna waste electricity, and since I DO wanna overclock my CPU, if possible, when I know that it can run an overclock stable. 

I know some of this may be little confusing, so if you have any quesitions, feel free to ask. I want to know IF the motherboard is causing this, because then I will simply replace it, but if the motherboard is not causing it, I do not wanna waste my money on something that is not gonna help. 

Thank you for your time reading this, and thank you for all the help you may have. 

Plz help!

The "PC" turns itself on again issue sounds, like either the Power On button may be faulty, or there might be a short circuit, which bypasses the Power on button, but still sends a current to the MoBo so your PC turns on. Yet these are only assumptions.

Another reason could be "Wake on LAN", a feature I only dealt once with, but caused my PC to start itself, deu to some mislead configuration.

Regarding your second problem I can not help you that much, as I am a completly stranger to OC. Soem questions might be helpful here anyways: Are the temperatures okay after you overclocked the CPU? What power supply do you have?

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

To fix go into BIOS and disable any wake on xxx stuff you can find then inside windows open device manager and go into the properties for your keyboard, mouse and NIC (do them one at a time), have a look through and find the "Allow this device to wake my computer" option (sorry can't remember where it is from memory) and uncheck it.

2) First thing I'd recommend is update your BIOS to the latest version, its most likely caused by a bug in your BIOS.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Okay, thank you gonna try that. But what is KB&M?

And how do I update my bios?

Just now, MoToX said:

Okay, thank you gonna try that. But what is KB&M?

And how do I update my bios?

KB&M = KeyBoard & Mouse

What model is your board (exact manufacturer and model please)

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

KB&M = KeyBoard & Mouse

What model is your board (exact manufacturer and model please)

Ohh okay. 

It is an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard.

11 minutes ago, MoToX said:

Ohh okay. 

It is an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-bios

Get the latest version (latest version is top of the list), unzip it and drop the ROM file onto a FAT32 formatted USB drive, reboot into uefi and select Quick Flash (might be called something else but will have the word flash in it somewhere) then point it to the ROM file on the USB drive and prey your electricity doesn't cut out before its finished.

9 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Get the latest version, unzip it and drop the ROM file onto a FAT32 formatted USB drive, reboot into uefi and select Quick Flash (might be called something else but will have the word flash in it somewhere) then point it to the ROM file on the USB drive and prey your electricity doesn't cut out before its finished.

Not to sound like a noob, but I do not understand some of those words :), and I do not like the part where I need to prey?

14 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Get the latest version (latest version is top of the list), unzip it and drop the ROM file onto a FAT32 formatted USB drive, reboot into uefi and select Quick Flash (might be called something else but will have the word flash in it somewhere) then point it to the ROM file on the USB drive and prey your electricity doesn't cut out before its finished.

Can I not just download and update, like with every other device?

49 minutes ago, MoToX said:

Can I not just download and update, like with every other device?

Nope, you can use MSI Live Update but I wouldn't recommend it as its prone to getting things wrong and destroying boards.

https://uk.msi.com/page/live-update-5-manual

If your not sure you could ask a friend to help or failing that pay a local shop to do the flash for you.

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Nope, you can use MSI Live Update but I wouldn't recommend it as its prone to getting things wrong and destroying boards.

If your not sure you could ask a friend to help or failing that pay a local shop to do the flash for you.

Okay, thanks for all the help :)

36 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I can see that my Bios have never been updated, should download and install each and every update, or can I just use the latest?

1 hour ago, MoToX said:

I can see that my Bios have never been updated, should download and install each and every update, or can I just use the latest?

Just the latest one is fine.