Hyper-V / Virtual Machines Questions

Matthewm97

Hello,

I am not too familiar with Virtual Machines and I wanted to try Hyper V to test programs, but i had some questions before i tried it out. 

1.Does adding a virtual machine ( of Windows 10 using Hyper V) slow down my computer when i do not have it opened. (Basically does it run in the background when i am not using it)

2. Are my specs fine to run it? (I have a AMD FX 6300 6 Core, 8gb ram, Powercooler Radeon r9 270, Windows 10 Pro, also i don't have an SSD so i'm not sure if that will be a big deal or not) 

3. Can viruses from a VM be transfer to my main desktop? (Not that i am trying to download viruses but the programs i want to test i am testing to see if they do have viruses)

4. If in the the future i need more room on my computer am i able to delete the VM and the OS with it?

Thanks in advance!!!

1. while the VM is running it will use up to the amount of hardware you set it.
  2. just don't give the VM to much. I run vms with 2 cores amd 2GB of ram on a 8350 amd 7770
  3. if you had folder sharing (in hyped or in windows) then maybe. If your VM can access your files a virus can.
  4. You cam create and delete VMs as you see fit.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

9 minutes ago, Matthewm97 said:

Hello,

I am not too familiar with Virtual Machines and I wanted to try Hyper V to test programs, but i had some questions before i tried it out. 

1.Does adding a virtual machine ( of Windows 10 using Hyper V) slow down my computer when i do not have it opened. (Basically does it run in the background when i am not using it)

2. Are my specs fine to run it? (I have a AMD FX 6300 6 Core, 8gb ram, Powercooler Radeon r9 270, Windows 10 Pro, also i don't have an SSD so i'm not sure if that will be a big deal or not) 

3. Can viruses from a VM be transfer to my main desktop? (Not that i am trying to download viruses but the programs i want to test i am testing to see if they do have viruses)

4. If in the the future i need more room on my computer am i able to delete the VM and the OS with it?

Thanks in advance!!!

1. Kind of. A virtual machine allocates a certain amount of RAM, video memory, disk space and processing power exclusively to the VM. For example, if you had an 8 core CPU and allocated 2 cores to a VM, you could only use 6 cores in your primary operating system.

2. Yes. Depending on the OS and how many resources you allocate to it, it will vary but should work.

3. Rarely. They are usually written in different types of code and you usually can't copy between partitions, which is what a VM creates. Depends on your settings and the OS you are running, however.

4. Yes. If you delete all the files it should all disappear.