Recently bought a 4K HDR TV (Sony 10Bit) and wondering how to get Xbox One S/PS4 Pro play Video @ standard Hz

likwidsolutions

I am a PC and a Console gamer (oh my!)...anyways, I loved getting the new HDR 4k Display for gaming, even though it doesn't really help much unless the games take advantage of it, but stuff like HDR video and Netflix 4K Ultra HD is great too except I noticed video seems to play at a constant 60 Hz or FPS even though I have my display and consoles accepting 24Hz (it's a Sony Bravia XBR-850D, with my PS4 Pro and Xbox One S running through the Soundbar that was sold with it, both allowing for HDR 4K passthrough, the Soundbar is the Sony HTCT790, I'm guessing it was a pretty popular sell around the holidays as they were bundled for 1200 at Best Buy and Amazon was also selling them at the same price and the Pro and S consoles' both were just released).  Both have  HDCP 2.2 with 4K HDR support. I use the ARC feature the Soundbar/TV both use. 

I know on the Xbox One S you had to go to the video settings to allow for 24Hz, which is what most video or television/movies tend to be, 59, and 60Hz, plus 4K and HDR assuming you have the ability (and it tells you whether it's working whether it's connected to a TV supporting it). I think the PS4 Pro basically is just turn on 4k/2k Support Auto/Off, and maybe same with HDR. But I definitely see a huge difference watching for example something in Netflix's 4K Ultra HD section vs. watching it on a non HDR source or if I turn HDR off. I figured if the Xbox One S is going give me the opition to "allow 24Hz" it would at least take advantage of movies or shows that use it, because it's definitely off-putting. The Hobbit Movie I remember people said it gave it that "soap opera effect" but that was shot for 60FPS, this seems like shows meant for 24 Hz or so but displayed at the full 60FPS. Obviously just because it's on 60Hz doesn't mean it's using a full 60FPS or console gaming would have more value to 4K PC gaming, it's just being displayed at 60Hz whether the GPU get's that high or not, but video should display at whatever framerate it's supposed to be displayed at correct? It just seems like certain scenes move much more quickly than it should. I could stream video or my desktop to my TV but obviously I am missing out on the HDR features the consoles provide, or the TV's built in apps. 

The latest example was watching Daredevil and then Jessica Jones on Netflix. Although this isn't the first examples I've noticed, but it's definitely more noticeable on these (everytime I try Netflix's Ultra 4K on Xbox One S it just closes the app, it works fine on PS4 Pro, although any video I've streamed to Xbox One S has shown similar results). I haven't tried the Android TV built in Netflix app, but just curious as I can't be the only one to get a bit annoyed by this. Obviously HDR and 4K are a plus, but not if it's being displayed improperly and somewhat 'sped up' in certain areas, if you know what I mean. Obviously the sound and video are in sync, it just appears to move quicker. 

17 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

it could be motion interpolation. 

If so how do I check for this? All my picture settings are standard except having the HDR setting on. But if you are correct how should I check for this?

17 minutes ago, Emanuel_M said:

maybe its your connection speed.

It's not impossible, but it's unlikely. Usually netflix will buffer the video. So if the connection weren't responding right, it usually would just pause and start. Only time I've dealt with this is when I'm downloading a bunch of torrents or have a bunch of things using the internet but right now I just have my PS4 Pro with Netflix on and my Intel NUC web browsing. Looking at Wifi Anaylzer my 5GHz (both, I have a 3200MHz Asus Triband Router), and have only my consoles on one 5GHz band since they will only be in use 1 at a time, along with my cellphone, the larger 5GHz bandwith is for my computer and anything else using the 5GHz band, which sometimes I will move my phone over. 

5 minutes ago, likwidsolutions said:

If so how do I check for this? All my picture settings are standard except having the HDR setting on. But if you are correct how should I check for this?

i just want to confirm but are you seeing this sort of thing occurring? the "soap opera" effect?

17 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i just want to confirm but are you seeing this sort of thing occurring? the "soap opera" effect?

Hmm, it's hard to say. When people used that phrase when the hobbit movie came out (that's really the only time I remember it being a part of regular vernacular, assumed it meant something else), but in a sense it does seem like what I am experiencing. I would record some of it but the only capture card I have is from back when PS3/XB360 were still the mainstay consoles, so I highly doubt it's 4K/HDCP 2.2 compliant, but it doesn't seem like it's ghosting or w/e like in the video you provided, but it is sped up some especially in scenes where the scene is more intense I guess you could say (fighting, action, sex scenes, pretty much anything that is really "quick moving" anyways, but the video especially seems like it's "sped up" for lack of a better term). Lol it's hard to describe something for which I have no frame of reference to compare it to. I just figured I wasn't the only one to have this problem with a 4K/HDR compliant screen and the Xbox One S/PS4 Pro and Netflix/Amazon Ultra HD 4K videos.