Recording and measuring FPS in game with least impact

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
2 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

Relive takes only around 3-4% of performance from recording.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_Crimson_ReLive_Drivers/4.html

Try fraps for measuring fps, it seems quite accurate for me.

And Afterburner? Have you used that?

I want to know which program has the least impact on performance when recording?

I don't mind it recording the output of the video to 10fps or 30fps or whatever fps it is as long as gameplay / frame rate remains almost or the same as without recording

Specs: i5 4460, RX 480 4GB, 8GB RAM

Recording at 1920x1080. I want to do some benchmarking videos. The most important aspect is accurate FPS counter. I am pretty sure that's what people are interested, not the actual video frame rate.

So far I am looking for these programs to record:

• AMD ReLive
  • FRAPS
  • Bandicam/Action!/DXTory
  • Hypercam 2 /s
  • OBS
  • Shadowplay /s 
  • Xsplit (if they have)

And programs to measure frame rate accurately. Which one is the most accurate?

• AMD has one? I don't know. I know Shadowplay had one when I record
  • FRAPS
  • In game counter from Steam (does Origin have one?)
  • Bandicam/Action/DXTory 
  • MSI Afterburner/Rivatuna

If you have any other options please suggest

Definitely record using ReLive. Any recording program will have a small impact on framerate (~3-7 FPS) but ReLive (or Shadowplay on Nvidea) will have the least impact. FRAPS is good if you just want to show FPS (large numbers, easy to read), and is good for recording benchmarks (not video but in a text file). I use Afterburner/Rivatuner usually because I want to see GPU/CPU usage and temps as well as framerate.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

Relive takes only around 3-4% of performance from recording.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_Crimson_ReLive_Drivers/4.html

Try fraps for measuring fps, it seems quite accurate for me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, RyanMacRocks said:

Definitely record using ReLive. Any recording program will have a small impact on framerate (~3-7 FPS) but ReLive (or Shadowplay on Nvidea) will have the least impact. FRAPS is good if you just want to show FPS (large numbers, easy to read), and is good for recording benchmarks (not video but in a text file). I use Afterburner/Rivatuner usually because I want to see GPU/CPU usage and temps as well as framerate.

How is FRAPS FPS counter vs MSI Afterburner FPS counter? Are there any differences? I also heard ReLive have some issues 

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

How is FRAPS FPS counter vs MSI Afterburner FPS counter? Are there any differences? I also heard ReLive have some issues 

Afterburner is a little harder to read but shows FPS down to a tenth (ex. 59.9 FPS vs. just a 60 in FRAPS). As for issues, every recorder has them, but I stick by my previous statement that it is far superior to OBS or FRAPS recording due to the limited impact on performance and hardware acceleration.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

1 minute ago, RyanMacRocks said:

Afterburner is a little harder to read but shows FPS down to a tenth (ex. 59.9 FPS vs. just a 60 in FRAPS). As for issues, every recorder has them, but I stick by my previous statement that it is far superior to OBS or FRAPS recording due to the limited impact on performance and hardware acceleration.

I might put MSI afterburner and FRAPS side by side to see. Also does Relive comes with one?

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

I might put MSI afterburner and FRAPS side by side to see. Also does Relive comes with one?

Not sure if ReLive has one, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put FRAPS in the top right and Afterburner on the top left though, even if just to try them out.

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

And Afterburner? Have you used that?

the fps counter is faster on fraps, msi tends to take abit of time to change from what i see.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

4 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

the fps counter is faster on fraps, msi tends to take abit of time to change from what i see.

Damn Techpowerup has everything

1 hour ago, RyanMacRocks said:

Not sure if ReLive has one, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put FRAPS in the top right and Afterburner on the top left though, even if just to try them out.

Thanks guys

From what ive seen FRAPS has a massive fps impact whereas Bandicam has almost no impact. Also Bandicam's files are smaller than FRAPS'.

2 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

FRAPS is for basic benchmarking

AMD just came out with OCAT which is an overlay for Presentmon, far more advanced for benchmarking

As for recording, you don't want to record while benchmarking, most people just film the screen or have an external capture set up, or just play previously recorded gameplay

for recording in general you'll want to use OBS or whatever GPU accelerated thing AMD/nvidia gives you unless  you want higher quality using OBS, requires a pretty solid CPU though

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

35 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

FRAPS is for basic benchmarking

AMD just came out with OCAT which is an overlay for Presentmon, far more advanced for benchmarking

As for recording, you don't want to record while benchmarking, most people just film the screen or have an external capture set up, or just play previously recorded gameplay

for recording in general you'll want to use OBS or whatever GPU accelerated thing AMD/nvidia gives you unless  you want higher quality using OBS, requires a pretty solid CPU though

Did not know about OCAT. I am not doing something intenese / proffesional