ISP modems/routers

Big3moke
Go to solution Solved by TheKDub,

Never use the shit equipment that ISPs will try to rent to you.

I'd recommend buying your own instead. I've had much better results with equipment I've bought from a store than I have with the garbage that ISPs try to rent people.

You might need to save a bit more if you want some good equipment though, from what I've seen, the better modems cost around $50-100 USD (Check out some of the Motorola SURFboard modems, such as the SB6141), and then good routers are around $50-200 USD. (I'd recommend the ASUS RT-N66U, I've got the AC66U and it's great, and Linus used the N66U for quite a while and loved it too).
I'm not sure on prices in Canadian, but I'd expect they'd total up to a bit over $150 CDN.

I'd go for option #2 since you'd get 4x the download speed with it.

Hi,

I am currently using bell 25/10 dsl internet and want to switch to teksavvy so I have two options:

1)DSL internet 25/10

2)Cable internet 100/10 

My questions are:

Should I buy cable or stick with dsl?

Do I need to buy modems/routers that they are providing (a salesperson told me that it has to be compatible and gave my a list) or if I can buy my own dsl/cable modem because I think that their modems/routers are a bit old and a lot of people are using wifi in my household and think that a good modem/router is needed.

If I can buy other routers/modems which should I buy for best wifi? ($150 CDN budget)

Never use the shit equipment that ISPs will try to rent to you.

I'd recommend buying your own instead. I've had much better results with equipment I've bought from a store than I have with the garbage that ISPs try to rent people.

You might need to save a bit more if you want some good equipment though, from what I've seen, the better modems cost around $50-100 USD (Check out some of the Motorola SURFboard modems, such as the SB6141), and then good routers are around $50-200 USD. (I'd recommend the ASUS RT-N66U, I've got the AC66U and it's great, and Linus used the N66U for quite a while and loved it too).
I'm not sure on prices in Canadian, but I'd expect they'd total up to a bit over $150 CDN.

I'd go for option #2 since you'd get 4x the download speed with it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W