Returning 1050 Ti for RX 470?

RyanMacRocks

Just before Christmas, I sold my GTX 760 2 GB, for $70, as performance in modern games was beginning to disappoint (especially with only 2 GB of vram). My plan was to buy a used 970, there were plenty used on Craigslist near me for $170-$200. But then Christmas came around and I received some Amazon gift cards, and figured I'd give the Zotac 1050 Ti Mini a try, since it seemed like a decent card for only $139. Well, after I bought it I spent a little more time looking at benchmarks, etc. and realized that I could've bought a RX 470 Armor for only $149 after rebates, and felt dumb. I immediately went to my Amazon orders and canceled the 1050 Ti order, and am about to order the RX 470, for the superior performance + I want to support AMD since I feel they have been making a great effort with drivers and creating truly competitive cards (470 & 480). However, I was reading some reviews for the 470 Armor on Newegg (since Amazon reviews are all jumbled together now) and read lots of issues with black screens, cooling, and crashes, one user even had a screw fall out of his 470 (this seems like an MSI problem not AMD however).

Was it still a good decision to cancel the 1050 Ti? Power consumption and heat aren't a huge deal to me, as long as it isn't as loud as my 7970 reference. xD I don't have a company/driver preference as long as the software is smooth, I never had any issues with Crimson drivers when I owned my 7970.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

Bought the exact same 470 for my friends computer and installed it. Used DDU and no issues. It's a quiet card. She plays TF2, GTA5, Golf with Friends, and L4D2. Everything has worked perfectly since it's been installed. We've gamed a ton. It's been about a month.

Just now, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

Bought the exact same 470 for my friends computer and installed it. Used DDU and no issues. It's a quiet card. She plays TF2, GTA5, Golf with Friends, and L4D2. Everything has worked perfectly since it's been installed. We've gamed a ton. It's been about a month.

Great, I'll probably go for it then.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

6 minutes ago, RyanMacRocks said:

Great, I'll probably go for it then.

After the rebates it's a steal. At one point shipping was free.