Booting up PC without CPU cooler

Xtr4gent

When building a brand new PC from scratch can I validate everything works (putting together the PC outside of the case and turning it on) including the CPU without putting on the CPU cooler. The PC will only be on for a couple seconds to make sure all the components work.

It's risky, although I think it can be done for a few seconds. I'd use the stock cooler though just to be safe if it came with one. 

Current system: CPU:I5 6600k 4.5Ghz, CPU Cooler: Asetek 550LC, Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gamer, Ram:Adata XPG 4x2 2400, Graphics Card:MSi GTX 970 + Zotac 970, Hard drives:256gb SSD+1tb WD Blue, Case:Corsair Spec 01 Power Supply:XFX TS  750 watt Bronze, OS:Windows 10 64bit

1 minute ago, Xtr4gent said:

When building a brand new PC from scratch can I validate everything works (putting together the PC outside of the case and turning it on) including the CPU without putting on the CPU cooler. The PC will only be on for a couple seconds to make sure all the components work.

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE IDEA.  aNYTHING GETS INTO THE CHIP SOCKET Boom fried mobo and cpu (whoops sorry for caps lock) but do not do that

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

yeah, you can do it

I did it once to get into the BIOS and didn't have issues

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

6 minutes ago, Xtr4gent said:

If it's only for a couple of seconds (No more than 5) than it's is probably ok, but still be cautious.

All I'm checking is to see if any of the components are DOA before put them all in the case 

I'd put the stock cooler on just to be safe. My friend tried doing it without the cooler for an old Xeon and it got really hot really quickly, even though he only POSTed it.

I used to be quite active here.