Cant connect to 5.0GHz

jdeane

I find the 5.0 network, but it says it cant connect to it. I have two different networks, one for 2.4 and one for 5.0, to see which is which. My wireless mode on my adapter is 802.11b Preamble. My adapter is a TP Link WDN 4800, so i should be able to connect to 5.0 networks. 

Also: if anyone can figure out how I can fix my unstable wifi, thread copied below, I will pay $50. Thanks

What authentication type are you using on the 5Ghz Radio?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

5 minutes ago, Altecice said:

What authentication type are you using on the 5Ghz Radio?

IMG_3171.PNG

17 hours ago, jdeane said:

IMG_3171.PNG

Change your Wi-Fi channel to something in the 30's. Your WLAN card might not support DFS. 

If it still doesn't work tweak the 5Ghz Channel Frequency down from 80Mhz down to 40.

Just as a best practice you shouldn't be using the default password for your 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz SSID.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

802.11b is 2.4GHz only. I don't know why you changed mode on your adapter, but chances are that you have changed some setting (presumably limited it to 802.11b) that is causing the issues. 

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

802.11b is 2.4GHz only. I don't know why you changed mode on your adapter, but chances are that you have changed some setting (presumably limited it to 802.11b) that is causing the issues. 

And I'm trying to figure out how to change the mode. There is a tp link configuration tool that I have and it says there that I am on 802.11n, but in device manager the adapter says 802.11b preamble. 

16 minutes ago, jdeane said:

And I'm trying to figure out how to change the mode. There is a tp link configuration tool that I have and it says there that I am on 802.11n, but in device manager the adapter says 802.11b preamble. 

If you haven't already changed mode then you should not have to do it. It should be on automatic mode by default. The device manager might just be reporting things incorrectly.

What error message do you get when you try to connect to the 5GHz network? Are you sure you're using the correct password? You can have different passwords for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

30 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If you haven't already changed mode then you should not have to do it. It should be on automatic mode by default. The device manager might just be reporting things incorrectly.

What error message do you get when you try to connect to the 5GHz network? Are you sure you're using the correct password? You can have different passwords for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Just says "can't connect to this network". Can connect to it on phones and mac, but not my pc

10 minutes ago, jdeane said:

Just says "can't connect to this network". Can connect to it on phones and mac, but not my pc

Did you do the things Altecice recommended and did that have any effect at all?