Major Wifi Issues

jdeane

I am currently having an issue with my wifi. The connection is very unstable and if I try to play games like Overwatch and CSGO my ping goes up and down within a range of about 50ms. 

Things I have tried:

Checked with my ISP to make sure it isn't on their end - I also connected to my iphone to see if I get the same problem and I do. Only when I connect through wifi. When I USB tether my connection is fine

I tried reinstalling different drivers for my TP-Link WDN4800 to see if any would work, none did

I bought a whole new adapter (identical model) and the same problem happens 

I switched PCI-e slots to rule out if the slot I was previously using was broken, problem persisted

I am connected to the best channel (channel 1) according to a wifi analyzer I downloaded

Helpful tips:

My ISP is ATT and we use their most up to date router. We have used the same kind of router for over 8 months now and the problem has only started happening a month ago

My connnection is smooth after restarting my computer. After about 5 min that is when my connection becomes unstable

If you have any ideas please let me know, I literally have no idea what is wrong and if it is something major then I want it fixed ASAP. Thanks

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

Have you tried restarting your router?

If this is a serious question then yes, ofc I have. The problem happened with 2 different routers (same make/model)

I would look at the router's direction as you said that you tried 2 wifi cards and your phone all having the same problem. I guess it's safe to rule those 3 out being the problem.

Ask your ISP if you can get a replacement or, if you still have your old router, try that one.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

Just now, Limecat86 said:

I would look at the router's direction as you said that you tried 2 wifi cards and your phone all having the same problem. I guess it's safe to rule those 3 out being the problem.

Ask your ISP if you can get a replacement or, if you still have your old router, try that one.

Maybe I worded it oddly. I connected my pc to both my home wifi and made my iphone a personal hotspot and connected it to my phone. So my computer did it with 2 different connections.

I have the exact same Wireless Adapter as you do and I'm having the exact same problems. My ping reaches into the thousands when playing games, I'm looking to buy a powerline adapter, maybe that'll work?

L. Prudhoe

3 hours ago, Prudator said:

I have the exact same Wireless Adapter as you do and I'm having the exact same problems. My ping reaches into the thousands when playing games, I'm looking to buy a powerline adapter, maybe that'll work?

Have you had yours for awhile and it started happening recently? My issue started a month ago, but I have had over a year

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my adapter for over a year now also, and my issue also started about a month ago, maybe two. Very coincidental. 

Also, just in case you care, the power-line adapter didn't work for me for some reason, so I sent it back and I'm thinking of buying either the TP-LINK Archer T8E AC1750 Dual Band Wireless PCI Express Adapter or the ASUS PCE-AC56 Next Generation Dual-Band Wireless-AC1300.

L. Prudhoe

On 12/23/2016 at 1:15 PM, jdeane said:

Have you had yours for awhile and it started happening recently? My issue started a month ago, but I have had over a year

Not sure if your router is dual band. But have you tried 5 Ghz? 2.4 Ghz could just be too crowed. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.