Computer Crashing - please help

LeafyCarp

Hi everyone. I'm a bit new here and to the world of tech, so I apologize if I don't use correct terminology or something like that.

Anyway, a friend of mine help me build my first gaming pc three months ago. It was doing fine for a while, but all of a sudden it started crashing after I had been playing graphically intensive games for a significant amount of time. After a while, it started doing this more frequently. It has gone from once or twice a week to several times a day. When I take the top panel off, it usually lasts longer before it crashes. The only problem with my "hot gpu" theory is that very occasionally (twice in the past 12 hours) it has also done this while just sitting at the desktop or light browsing of the internet.

Can anyone here possibly help me out or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

P.S. here are my specs
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r6kN6X

3 minutes ago, LeafyCarp said:

Your hot hot hot theory is probably correct.

I'd clean all fans and change the thermal paste on both GPU and CPU.   

If you are not comfortable doing that, then take it to a shop that will do it for you.

4 minutes ago, LeafyCarp said:

Kind of a weird question but have you checked if the GPU (Graphics Card) fans are spinning? (ive seen this happen more times than i like to say).

Edited by Made In Canada
Terminology

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

Hi everyone. I'm a bit new here and to the world of tech, so I apologize if I don't use correct terminology or something like that.

Anyway, a friend of mine help me build my first gaming pc three months ago. It was doing fine for a while, but all of a sudden it started crashing after I had been playing graphically intensive games for a significant amount of time. After a while, it started doing this more frequently. It has gone from once or twice a week to several times a day. When I take the top panel off, it usually lasts longer before it crashes. The only problem with my "hot gpu" theory is that very occasionally (twice in the past 12 hours) it has also done this while just sitting at the desktop or light browsing of the internet.

Can anyone here possibly help me out or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

P.S. here are my specs
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r6kN6X

Well, that is sure as hell a software instability, considering light browsing ain't crap on that GPU. Possibly reset windows, and look at drivers. More info can come along if I can work with this for longer.

1 minute ago, Made In Canada said:

Kind of a weird question but have you checked if the GPU (Graphics Card) fans are spinning? (ive seen this happen more times than i like to say).

Yes, they are definitely spinning when under heavy load, but it's crashed three times since I've made this post.. no heavy load on linus tech tips, I'd say.

3 minutes ago, adithyay328 said:

Well, that is sure as hell a software instability, considering light browsing ain't crap on that GPU. Possibly reset windows, and look at drivers. More info can come along if I can work with this for longer.

Is there a reliable guide you know of for this sort of thing? I honestly don't really know what I'm doing.

Just now, LeafyCarp said:

Yes, they are definitely spinning when under heavy load, but it's crashed three times since I've made this post.. no heavy load on linus tech tips, I'd say.

Do what @Rohime said and make sure everything seems to be working correct. Also, remember that this could be any main component in your PC that can be causing this (PSU since you said crashing, Mobo not working right, etc.). But if that STILL does not help, i recommend to do what @adithyay328 said and possibly reinstall windows.

-Made In Canada

Just now, LeafyCarp said:

Is there a reliable guide you know of for this sort of thing? I honestly don't really know what I'm doing.

Well, have you ever installed a new piece of kit in your PC(those driver may be fing up). As well, I used to have the exact same problem, in turned out that my CPU cooler had died. Checked that out yet? GPU wouldn't cause pc to shut down

For reinstalling the OS (operating system, for this, i would guess windows 10) there are tons of guides online on how to do this, simply search "Windows 10 Installation" and there should be tons of videos for this.

-Made In Canada