New GPU suggestion

mbryant

So the other day my 1070 SC suffered water damage. I couldn't replace it because I'd actually just bought a used iMac to use as a backup in case my PC ever took a shit. As I was making room for the iMac on my desk an almost empty cup of chicken noodle fell off the desk and got into my case and onto my 1070. It's dead now lol.

So I have a 3440x1440 display and would prefer to play most games at that resolution. I play some at 2560x1440 though.

When I replace the card should I go for a 1080 or 1070? I should be able to afford a 1080. Budget isn't an issue so long as I'm not paying $50 more for marginal performance increases that don't make a big difference. No hybrid or liquid cooling please and thank you

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

@mbryant I'd suggest you get a GTX 1080 or wait for the confirmed GTX 1080 Ti. By the way, what is your currency? :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

1 minute ago, Freezanator said:

@mbryant I'd suggest you get a GTX 1080 or wait for the confirmed GTX 1080 Ti. By the way, what is your currency? :) 

USD, my bad lol.

I haven't kept up with the Ti news. If it's over $800 that's a no go lol. I should have clarified, money is no object unless it's over $750 lol. Unless the Ti is actually THAT impressive

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

I never thought i'd hear someone say that chicken noodles killed their graphics cards lol.

If you can hold out for a 1080ti that'd be worth the wait, if its an urgent thing a 1080 would be ideal for that 4k screen.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, mbryant said:

USD, my bad lol.

I haven't kept up with the Ti news. If it's over $800 that's a no go lol. I should have clarified, money is no object unless it's over $750 lol. Unless the Ti is actually THAT impressive

Well, do you really need to game now? FYI, you could still use the computer just for web browsing (I mean, do you wanna use that iMac? It is the reason your 1070 is dead >:() or if you'd like to see a slideshow of frames with your iGPU, be my guest. :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

7 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

Well, do you really need to game now? FYI, you could still use the computer just for web browsing (I mean, do you wanna use that iMac? It is the reason your 1070 is dead >:() or if you'd like to see a slideshow of frames with your iGPU, be my guest. :) 

well I still have my 780 which can actually run a few of my games at 3440x1440 like GTA V, chivalry, overwatch and AC III. It does struggle on chivalry at 3440x1440 sometimes. My 1070 was only really pushed at that resoluton on BF4. 

12 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I never thought i'd hear someone say that chicken noodles killed their graphics cards lol.

If you can hold out for a 1080ti that'd be worth the wait, if its an urgent thing a 1080 would be ideal for that 4k screen.

are there rumors on pricing? I refuse to go VEGA because I just don't like AMD's cards. Plus CUDA is guda (bad pun) because I also edit video. Last I herd from 1080Ti rumors were that is was going to start at like $800?

I like this design, but I've only ever had EVGA cards and I <3 EVGA 

http://www.microcenter.com/product/466266/GeForce_GTX_1080_AERO_8GB_GDDR5_Overclocked_PCIe_Video_Card

23 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

It aint 4, just a little over 1440P :)

32 minutes ago, mbryant said:

So the other day my 1070 SC suffered water damage. I couldn't replace it because I'd actually just bought a used iMac to use as a backup in case my PC ever took a shit. As I was making room for the iMac on my desk an almost empty cup of chicken noodle fell off the desk and got into my case and onto my 1070. It's dead now lol.

So I have a 3440x1440 display and would prefer to play most games at that resolution. I play some at 2560x1440 though.

When I replace the card should I go for a 1080 or 1070? I should be able to afford a 1080. Budget isn't an issue so long as I'm not paying $50 more for marginal performance increases that don't make a big difference. No hybrid or liquid cooling please and thank you

You haven't mentioned if it is g-sync or not. But either way I would defo wait for Vega/ti release, at worst the current prices will drop. Vega may be the sweet spot (hence my gsync question). I'm guessing (sensibly) that the 1080ti will hit for around $800 but really depends on how the vega performs, if it struggles with a 1080 for the same price Nvidia will have no real reason to price the 1080ti any lower. Hence why I suggest waiting on Vega

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

You haven't mentioned if it is g-sync or not. But either way I would defo wait for Vega/ti release, at worst the current prices will drop. Vega may be the sweet spot (hence my gsync question). I'm guessing (sensibly) that the 1080ti will hit for around $800 but really depends on how the vega performs, if it struggles with a 1080 for the same price Nvidia will have no real reason to price the 1080ti any lower. Hence why I suggest waiting on Vega

not g-sync, I wish lol

4 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Yeah i realised when i double checked its a 1440 ultrawide, i saw the 3 at the start and thought 4k straight away :P 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

It's kinda bad how things turned out for you. As you were setting up measures just in case your PC went down it actually caused it to go down. Something like Darth Vader xD

BTW, what video editing software do you use? I remember, AE CS6 only supported up to GTX 680 or GTX 780Ti something like that.

Also, here are some of the latest news and rumours on the GTX 1080Ti

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

1 minute ago, YoloSwag said:

It's kinda bad how things turned out for you. As you were setting up measures just in case your PC went down it actually caused it to go down. Something like Darth Vader xD

BTW, what video editing software do you use? I remember, AE CS6 only supported up to GTX 680 or GTX 780Ti something like that.

Also, here are some of the latest news and rumours on the GTX 1080Ti

dude I shit you not, as I set the mac on my desk when I walked in the door with it I said out loud to myself " it might have been $300 I didn't need to spend, but at least I'll have a backup if my PC craps out" 

To make the story funnier... back in October I bought the 1070 because I thought my 780 had died (turns out it was my PSU) so I bought the 1070 then the following weekend I expierenced the same issue I'd had with the 780 so I replaced the PSU and problem solved but I decided "hey I don't spend big money on myself often so I won't return the 1070." 

Life huh?

14 minutes ago, mbryant said:

dude I shit you not, as I set the mac on my desk when I walked in the door with it I said out loud to myself " it might have been $300 I didn't need to spend, but at least I'll have a backup if my PC craps out" 

To make the story funnier... back in October I bought the 1070 because I thought my 780 had died (turns out it was my PSU) so I bought the 1070 then the following weekend I expierenced the same issue I'd had with the 780 so I replaced the PSU and problem solved but I decided "hey I don't spend big money on myself often so I won't return the 1070." 

Life huh?

This is the first time I've read/heard of the opening statement you've responded with haha.

Good thing you have a GTX 780 to play some games with while you wait on the next card. Happy Holidays!

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Chicken noodle soup for the gpu's soul. 

If anyone actually remembers that series. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz