First case mod attempt

knight_40k

I got this case for free from a co-worker and while I like it, it lacks a few modern features.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/22/img0512g.jpg/

I would like some input on where to go from here. So far I've cut a few cable management holes. I used a dremel to cut it and I filed/sanded afterward to smooth it out so I don't cut myself when routing cables through them. I drilled a few more random holes in the back plate as well so I can use zip tie's to fasten wires down from the rear. I'm debating if I want to make a CPU cutout, not sure if all these new holes will weaken the structural integrity of the back plate.

Before cutting

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/img0556si.jpg/

After cutting

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/img0557d.jpg/

I'm also thinking about painting the interior black but don't know where to start or what tools I'd need. I could do it myself or if anyone can recommend a local shop I could take it to. I heard some car body shops will paint cases but I haven't looked to far into it. Also I want to sleeve the front and top panel cables but have never done this before, what do I need?

Thoughts? Feel free to recommend other mods I should make if I overlooked anything.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Painting the case yourself shouldn't be too hard. You'll have to take everything apart, sand it off entirely, and just spray paint even coats on.

This doesn't look that bad.. great job!

Which color are you planning to paint your case ?

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

Haha my first ever case mod was because the cpu cut out wasnt big enough for my cpu waterblock. I just used pliers and cut and bent the metal out of shape until it would fit.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Looks like APLUS Case EL Diablo

Correct, but there are a few different EL Diablo models that appear quite similar and I'm not sure which exact one mine is.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

I'm also attempting to mod the top panel connector to implement "built-in" USB 3.0.

Here you can see the housing for the original connector, and I'm going to replace the bottom plastic with some sheet metal because the USB 3.0 wire is to thick to fit. Also, what are your thoughts on sleeving the audio/firewire cable?

http://i.imgur.com/W3OYW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PmCi9.jpg

For the paint job i recommend taking it to a car body shop, their paint is just better.. Don't worry about the case weakening. For the sleeve i just used a heat shrink wrap for these cables...

=

i know that case.

those fans were rubbish, because the pressure inside the case was to high (to positive) so hotpockets can be created. maybe is an extra outtake fan a nice option.

and maybe if you want to, try to cut the whole backpanel away and try to place your psu in the bottom :)

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

I'm also attempting to mod the top panel connector to implement "built-in" USB 3.0. Here you can see the housing for the original connector' date=' and I'm going to replace the bottom plastic with some sheet metal because the USB 3.0 wire is to thick to fit. Also, what are your thoughts on sleeving the audio/firewire cable? [url']http://i.imgur.com/W3OYW.jpg http://i.imgur.com/PmCi9.jpg

Doesn't it already come with a audio cable? And how often are you going to use fire wire though, your MB will most likely have at least one. There should be no need for more than one. Looks good though :D

^^^^

Yes it does have an audio cable, I'm asking about how to sleeve the cables since they are multicolor. e_shocksh already recommended I use heatshrink tube which I will order from Monoprice. Thanks for the tip by the way. You are right though, I will not use firewire but I want to keep it there so I don't have an empty space in my panel inputs.

And in case I forgot to mention I will probably just paint the case black to match the theme of my other systems or I may do a black and red, and change the LED's to red.

that looks great. I hope it turns out well.