Corsair M65 Pro Scroll Wheel Resistance

LooneyJuice

Hello Dudes/Dudettes,

Just inquiring as to whether any of you who've purchased this mouse noticed any immediate drop in force required to spin the scroll wheel. I'm trying to figure out whether it's a placebo or not. I basically made the switch from an old MX518 to the M65, and I do recall that for the first few minutes, the scroll wheel felt very firm with each notch feeling very distinct, which I liked. During the first day even, after a few hours of use, I'm not quite sure if it's a standard thing, the wheel I believe became rather suddenly easier to spin, with somewhat less distinct notches. The trouble is, I feel as though the wheel is too loose now to reliably use the scroll wheel click without imparting any kind of spinning force and actuating the wheel. 

Is this a thing? I know the M65's wheel requires a good firm press to operate, but I'd like to know whether anyone else has noticed the sudden drop off in scroll resistance.

Thanks in advance

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

• 2 weeks later...

I also have the M65 mouse but I have never noticed a decrease in scroll wheel resistance.

If the scroll wheel is realy loose you can attempt to repair it or you could send it back to get a new one.

I have experienced multiple hardware issues with this mouse but I have been able to repair most of them.

On 12/23/2016 at 3:11 PM, JumpDrive said:

I also have the M65 mouse but I have never noticed a decrease in scroll wheel resistance.

If the scroll wheel is realy loose you can attempt to repair it or you could send it back to get a new one.

I have experienced multiple hardware issues with this mouse but I have been able to repair most of them.

Shoot, just noticed your reply, thought this was lost to the depths of the LTT forum. Thanks nonetheless!

If I may, what kind of hardware issues? And was it the laser sensor M65 or M65 Pro? Thanks in advance.

As an update to my issue, it turned out something was indeed wrong with the scroll wheel. After loosening up quite a bit, it then stiffened up substantially, and the tactile feedback became more "noisy" and irregular. As that was happening, the scroll wheel then began to miss steps on web pages etc, and even reached the point where some steps were even intermittently reversed. Provided Corsair with an example video with the One Mile Scroll page while using the wheel, obviously missing steps and operating poorly, approved the RMA ticket on the spot and I sent the mouse back, awaiting replacement. Something possibly fractured and broke off as a result of a manufacturing defect or poor handling during transportation and messed up the wheel sensor I assume.

I'm mainly logging this stuff just in case this is a trend. I failed to find any similar kind of literature online regarding recurring issues of this type (which I guess is a good thing), although I've seen the occasional lemon, as is expected. 

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

The two issues I have had with this mouse were the scroll wheel acting weird when scrolling through pages. (other thread)

And the middle mouse button breaking on me. I am not 100% sure on this but I believe that I have the normal M65 (2015 model).

(The scroll wheel assembly on this mouse it quite fragile.)

fagile.PNG

5 hours ago, JumpDrive said:

The two issues I have had with this mouse were the scroll wheel acting weird when scrolling through pages. (other thread)

And the middle mouse button breaking on me. I am not 100% sure on this but I believe that I have the normal M65 (2015 model).

(The scroll wheel assembly on this mouse it quite fragile.)

You rock, thanks for the extra info and the close-up of the assembly. The thread you posted is essentially describing the same issue I had. The only difference being that I actually felt the feedback change massively which would probably indicate something breaking off and clogging the sensor. On the other hand, I see now what could go wrong if indeed the M65/65 Pro share the exact same assembly (which I think they do). 

The good news on my end is that I sent mine to Corsair in the Netherlands, they processed it in a day, and sent me a new one. Rather excellent support. But if this is a recurring issue, then kicking the bucket down the line is pointless, I'll have to see if I can return it, if it happens again. Honestly, it looks like the issue may have arisen from making the scroll wheel more complicated than it has to be. Here's hoping the unit that I get back isn't plagued by the same issue, 'cause even if it was my secondary purchase option (as no one had any Castors in stock at the time, and distribution is flaky in Greece), the sensor is brilliant, and overall was really neat after I got used to it.

Thanks again for the extra info and the old thread!

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave