PC Problems

HemiZzZz

Yesterday I built a computer for my friend. Everything was going well until we were trying to boot it to install Windows 10. Although when everything was plugged in, nothing would appear on the monitor. He is using Dual DVI and plugging in into the video card. We tried to plug it in to the Mobo but that didn't work either. Help me please because he wants his build to be done.

PC Specs:

Processor: i5 4590

Mobo: Gigabyte GA Gaming 5 Z97

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8 GB 2 x 4gb.

Storage: Seagate Barracude 1TB

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 3GB.

Case: CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova NEX 750W Fully Modular.

Monitor: AOC G2460P

What... EXACTLY happens when you try to boot up?

Do the fans spin up? Does the computer sound like it's turning on? 

Strip the computer down to the bare essentials. Onboard video (remove video card completely), one stick of ram, one Hard drive. Then try to boot.

Did you remember to plug in the 4 pin CPU power connector? 

This is why you get the computer to post BEFORE you put it together.

1 hour ago, corrado33 said:

What... EXACTLY happens when you try to boot up?

Do the fans spin up? Does the computer sound like it's turning on? 

Strip the computer down to the bare essentials. Onboard video (remove video card completely), one stick of ram, one Hard drive. Then try to boot.

Did you remember to plug in the 4 pin CPU power connector? 

This is why you get the computer to post BEFORE you put it together.

The computer starts up normally, everything seems like its working but nothing appears on the screen. All of the fans spin up, the computer sounds like it's turning on. The 4 pin CPU connector is plugged in, it's working and we did do a successful POST before using a MOBO speaker.

Ok, that's fine. Then it's something to do with your video card/cable/monitor.

Is the monitor on the right input? Are you sure the cable works? If the answer to both of those are yes, then take the video card out and use onboard video. See if it works then. Don't just take the cable from the card and attach it to the mobo. Physically remove the GPU from the computer. Some computers disable onboard video when they detect a video card attached.

If you don't HAVE onboard video (I think you do) then try a different PCIe slot/different video card. 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Ok, that's fine. Then it's something to do with your video card/cable/monitor.

Is the monitor on the right input? Are you sure the cable works? If the answer to both of those are yes, then take the video card out and use onboard video. See if it works then. Don't just take the cable from the card and attach it to the mobo. Physically remove the GPU from the computer. Some computers disable onboard video when they detect a video card attached.

If you don't HAVE onboard video (I think you do) then try a different PCIe slot/different video card. 

We are using Dual Link DVI for 144hz and the monitor is on DVI. I'm not sure if the cable works because the monitor also came with VGA but it doesn't have a VGA Slot. We can try onboard video. We'll also try a different PCIe slot for the video card.

Just now, HemiZzZz said:

We are using Dual Link DVI for 144hz and the monitor is on DVI. I'm not sure if the cable works because the monitor also came with VGA but it doesn't have a VGA Slot. We can try onboard video. We'll also try a different PCIe slot for the video card.

I can try bringing one of my HDMI cables and trying it that way to see if the DVI cable doesn't work.

11 minutes ago, HemiZzZz said:

I can try bringing one of my HDMI cables and trying it that way to see if the DVI cable doesn't work.

I've actually never had a broken DVI cable. Just try it with a different computer and see what happens!

Or a different monitor.

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

I've actually never had a broken DVI cable. Just try it with a different computer and see what happens!

Or a different monitor.

Ok

19 hours ago, HemiZzZz said:

Ok

Any luck?

CPU: AMD 7800X3D  | GPU: Asus Dual RTX 2080 Advanced | RAM: 32GB 6000MHz CL30 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F

PSU: Corsair RX750 | OS: Windows 11 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Brown Switches) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2016 at 8:37 AM, Flobberknock said:

Any luck?

Yep, the problem was fixed!