Capcom confirms Marvel VS Capcom sequel

Marvel vs Capcom is still one of the most well-known and beloved crossovers in gaming with a plethora of characters

Capcom has finally revealed that an upcoming sequel titled Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite 

After a week of teases and leaks, Capcom confirmed on Saturday that its long-running fighting series, Marvel vs. Capcom, would receive a sequel in 2017. The announcement came during the kickoff panel at this weekend's PlayStation Experience expo, but the cooler stuff came later at the evening's Street Fighter V world finals tournament.

The crossover sequel, dubbed Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, received its world premiere gameplay trailer on Saturday night, and it was introduced by Street Fighter V director Yoshinori Ono. "After you watch this, you might not be able to go to sleep tonight," Ono told the crowd.

The game will feature characters from Street Fighter and the Marvel Cinematic Universe which begs the question as to whether X-Men will be included 

Marvel's push for characters in its "cinematic universe" may mean Capcom is forced to leave the Fox-licensed fan-favorites out, but the only outlet to assert this possibility, Polygon, never fully ruled it out in its report from earlier this week. 

Some features:

• Reborn Rivalries: Universes collide once again in this all-new crossover clash for the ages, where players select their favorite Marvel and Capcom characters and engage in accessible and free-form 2v2 team battles, which allow for new gameplay dynamics never-before-seen in the franchise.

• Infinite Power: Choose one of the six powerful Infinity Stones from the Marvel Universe to influence the outcome of battle. Each Infinity Stone will customize characters with unique abilities and powerful game-changing effects that can quickly turn the tide of battle.

• Iconic Heroes: Select from a diverse roster of fan favorite characters pulled from the Marvel and Capcom Universes, including Captain Marvel and Iron Man from the Marvel side, and Ryu and Mega Man X from Capcom. Many more playable characters will be revealed in the future.

• Cinematic Story: Heroes and villains battle for supremacy in a timeless struggle set in the Marvel and Capcom universes. The original storyline answers the questions regarding the new clash and lets players step into the shoes of classic characters from both sides as they wage war against powerful forces in an attempt to defeat a new villain.

• Accessible Single Player Content: In addition to the cinematic story experience, players can hone their skills in a variety of accessible single player modes, including Training, Mission, and Arcade modes.

• Vast Multiplayer Features: Robust online modes and content including ranked and casual matches, global leaderboards, and online lobbies with spectator mode deepen the overall experience.

• Graphics: Unreal Engine 4 technology pushes the cinematic visuals and next-gen realism into a new era.

The gameplay will be a lot like Street Fighter V so it won't have the same gameplay as the previous titles

I personally like the Marvel vs Capcom franchise though the last one I played was the one from 2000 (MvC 2)

The original game was technically X-Men vs Street Fighter which would make the new game kind of weird if they leave them out, but licensing issues still loom 

I'm not sure whether I'm going to buy the sequel or not (though my obsession with Marvel and Street Fighter may push me to buy it anyway :P)

I kind of liked Street Fighter V because it was a beautiful game that was plagued by the shaky release and new-ish gameplay

Sources: ArsTechnica, Gamespot

Edited by DatSpeed

I wish they would go back to 2d sprites, there's just something about the 3d models that makes the experience lesser to me.

Graphics on this one look pretty nice though.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

13 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I was never one for these cliche narcissist arcade fighter type of games. 

What makes these games more cliche or narcissistic than any other competitive game?

Seems like your outlook is a little narcissistic.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Hearing is looks like SF is disappointing but if it was originally supposed to be a SF based crossover I can't fault them. Though for me it doesn't really matter since we're getting UMvC3 in march. I didn't own it so I don't mind a port of the previous one since I didn't play it that much.

But can I play geraldo del rivero?

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Its the game. 

The 'heroes' in the game with superhuman powers. 

In contrast to competitive games like CSGO, where measely humans can end a 1v1 confrontation in about 1 second.

Not saying fighting games are bad. They have a healthy audience which is why they are made and sold at all. Its just...  not my type of game. 

That makes more sense.  I thought you were talking specifically about Marvel Superheroes/Xmen vs Street Fighter/Marvel vs Capcom style games.

Wait for the 3rd or 4th version which might be called something like Super Marvel vs Capcom turbo gold edition, if it's production is anything like street fighter 4 was.

:edit: I'll be hanging on to my marvel vs capcons arcade machine till the day I die.