860k & gtx 750ti, what's next?

Hi guys,

last year I built my first pc Athlon x4 860k + gtx 750ti, since this was a cheap solution to start gaming.

however, it's pretty much the end of the road with AMD processors for me, as I see it. 

What do you think should be my first step into the Intel processor world, relatively inexpensive at the same time? i3 6100 or better spend extra and go for i5 6500, or maybe even some of the previous generations? I'm also looking at upgrading to smth like gtx 1060 graphics card-wise.

By the way, living in Moscow, Russia makes parts prices higher then you'd expect, and I'm really trying to keep my upgrade budget under 200$ (Not counting the graphics card) and certainly want to get best stuff for this money. Obviously I'll sell my current stuff second-hand but won't really get much return, I guess.

I have a mAtx compatible chassi and a decent power supply. 

Would really appreciate some advice, and thank a lot in advance.

best, Ivan

I am guessing you mean 200 USD cause 200 ruble would be 3 bucks USD... So I would say an i5 6400/6500 if you wanna spend extra, but keep in mind you also need a new mobo.

3 hours ago, Andydandyfiddy said:

You could wait for AMD Zen, Or Intel Kabylake.

But as far as parts that are available now, You should definitely go for the i5 6500 if you can, Because Now, That's the sweet spot. 4 cores etc etc

Going last gen isn't the best idea, Yes, DDR3 RAM is cheaper and the boards, But the prices for Haswell chips hasn't decreased very much at all. The 4460 and 6400 is pretty much identical, And You're probably better off going 6500.

Like the person said previously, You will need an LGA 1151 Board (Since you're on a budget, The 6500 isn't overclockable, Nor is SLI supported on the 1060, You don't need to worry too much about the chipset)

Nowadays, Low end motherboards isn't a bad choice, You don't need to worry about it Not having a PCI-E x16 slot

(Looking at you Intel Desktop Board D945GCPE)

Hope this helps!

Yes this are true but for what I have been doing for the past few months I have seen people sell there i5 4460 and it 4590 for about $90 to 100 USD converted and I might say this cheap 2nd hand are a great option, I purchase mine last time was around $160 to 170 and my friend got this for around $93 and change and in all things to consider going 4th gen 2nd hand might be one of the best budget solution.

But if you have the cash to spend 6th gen by all means, but until I see the need to replace my 2 year old upgrade Rig Pentium to i5 4th gen I will be holding with the 4th Gen.

GAMING RIG

i5 4590 / 16GB / RX 480 8GB

Thanks a lot for all your replies!

I was a bit doubtful about i5 but seeing your replies I'm now much more inclined to go on an buy it.

In Russian stores it's currently about 206 USD for an i5 6500 OEM + 60USD for a motherboard (I'm thinking MSI H110M PRO-VD) + 55USD for a DDR4 8GB stick.

All in all slightly over 300USD but it does feel like a future proof investment. Extra 100 bucks will be worth it i think.

this is step 1. 

Step 2 - upgade graphics later on. Do you think a GTX 1060 3GB is a balanced choice for the future?