• SSD (internal)
  • HDD (internal)
  • GPU
  • Case
  • PSU
  • Headset

The only thing I didn't buy from the (current version of the) list:

• Monitor

I ended up paying approximately $1,670. I took the list to Micro Center, checked if they had all of it. They had everything except the monitor and the Corsair memory, so I decided to hold and not get the monitor for now and ended up getting Crucial brand memory instead, the same GB but a little bit faster. I already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, although will get new of each later.

I also didn't get the Windows OS yet. I'm going to run both that and Linux on the computer.

Probably going to get Windows through here:

https://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/

So the next phase is piecing it all together. I built a computer a few years ago, although this is going to be a little different. It's my first time using liquid cooling and first time using those types of drives (SSD & HDD). The SSD's an M.2 and the HDD's not the same form factor as the "traditional" type, although I'm guessing connecting them is pretty straight forward.

Since the SSD's an M.2, I think I'll have to switch from BIOS to UEFI mode.

Also, the computer does not have an optical drive, but I can install the operating systems via USB. With the Windows purchase linked above, that's the key, so would I just download Windows from the Microsoft website, then install via USB (or another way) and apply the key?

Although I've built computers before, it has been a while so I'm out of practice piecing the hardware together. Any tips or pointers?

Watch some videos and relax.

20 minutes ago, KCmetro said:

Also, the computer does not have an optical drive, but I can install the operating systems via USB. With the Windows purchase linked above, that's the key, so would I just download Windows from the Microsoft website, then install via USB (or another way) and apply the key?

Yeah just download from their website. 

Well.. tips about building a pc.. Don't force anything.., I'm not sure what else.. it's pretty straightforward nowadays. Just watch a video of someone building a pc and you'll get the hang of it pretty instantly. 

Soooo... my M.2 is tiny, like it would go in a laptop. Is it the right SSD for a desktop?

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Watch some videos and relax.

I just watched those videos, thanks for sharing. Brings back memories on the steps to assembling the computer, although there are definitely differences, components that I haven't used before but am now, so that'll come in handy.

1 hour ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

*wink wink*

But really, don't watch NCIX Linus. You'll cringe so hard you'll drop your GPU

They weren't bad. I took a quick look at the SSD I bought and it's so small. Not used to that. The HDD, on the other hand, is pretty much the traditional drive. The case I got is huge, and I only got essentials for now, so there will be room to expand later. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get an audio card or if it'll be fine to just use the motherboard for audio.

1 hour ago, Wolther said:

Yeah just download from their website. 

Well.. tips about building a pc.. Don't force anything.., I'm not sure what else.. it's pretty straightforward nowadays. Just watch a video of someone building a pc and you'll get the hang of it pretty instantly. 

Good points, thank you.

I need to start downloading the Windows and Linux systems, have them ready for when the hardware's ready. :)

...of course, in the past, I had to replace some parts, let's hope that doesn't happen this time around.

26 minutes ago, KCmetro said:

Soooo... my M.2 is tiny, like it would go in a laptop. Is it the right SSD for a desktop?

Yeah they're meant to be tiny. They go into their very own spot on a MB. 

15 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Yeah they're meant to be tiny. They go into their very own spot on a MB. 

At first I thought, "hey this goes in a laptop," then, "well, why not a desktop also?" ...then... "wait a sec, the motherboard does have a slot for this, right?" And... it does. :) I just need to make sure to plug the SSD into the right slot.

Interesting, in the 1st video, 11:26-12:05

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFb3TNePIg )

he talks about powering on the computer (before putting the mobo/etc. in the case).

Then mentions to use a key or other metallic object to "short out" the power switch to turn it on.

I've never done that before... looked for the 2 pins on my mobo, checked the manual, could only find mention of CLRTC (for resetting time/CMOS), but then it says warning that could cause boot failure.

7 hours ago, KCmetro said:

Interesting, in the 1st video, 11:26-12:05

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFb3TNePIg )

he talks about powering on the computer (before putting the mobo/etc. in the case).

Then mentions to use a key or other metallic object to "short out" the power switch to turn it on.

You do it to the power pins. You know the ones you connect the power button to. Shorting out is exactly what the power button does in the first place in order to start the pc, it won't do any harm 

1 hour ago, KCmetro said:

Looks like they require purchase to download.

Edit - nevermind... I downloaded the "Media Creation Tool".

( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ )

So you got it figured out?

16 minutes ago, KCmetro said:

Yep. :)

Good! Let me know if you have any questions about anything else