ASUS X99 ATX-A II?

Hey guys! first time builder here.

I just bought all of my components for my first PC, including the  ASUS X99 ATX-A II motherboard. It had great reviews on PC Part Picker, as well as lots of endorsements from techy youtubers, like Linus himself. 

He included this board on his Holiday Buyer's Guide 2016, posted yesterday.

Although, I've been digging thru reviews on Newegg and Amazon, as opposed to just PC Part Picker, and it seems like it is notorious for being flaky, breaking down after a couple weeks, and ASUS being a diva roach to deal with.

Does anybody have any good, long term reviews of this board? Or good experiences with ASUS support?

Do you think these are issues that could've been worked out already?

I'm a greenhorn and really don't wanna deal with troubleshooting after a couple weeks, especially with a mother board.... Or am I just overthinking things?

Trying to decide if I should keep this board or not. Hoping for some good stories to confirm my purchase lol

Thanks everyone :D

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/thegremlin/saved/6CPVnQ

It's a solid board. Asus support can be a bit flaky at times, but all the Asus boards I've used have been rock solid. I wouldn't expect anything less from the X99-A II. Also your build looks great. I am assuming it is a video editing media rig and not a gaming PC?

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

1 minute ago, Daveeede said:

It's a solid board. Asus support can be a bit flaky at times, but all the Asus boards I've used have been rock solid. I wouldn't expect anything less from the X99-A II. Also your build looks great. I am assuming it is a video editing media rig and not a gaming PC?

Music production ! (:

(with enough graphics for Minecraft and Rivals of Aether hehe)

Just now, the gremlin said:

Music production ! (:

(with enough graphics for Minecraft and Rivals of Aether hehe)

More than enough for those games. Great stuff man enjoy it!

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

17 minutes ago, Daveeede said:

More than enough for those games. Great stuff man enjoy it!

thanks for the input man! hoping this build and this mobo go smoothly.

1 minute ago, the gremlin said:

thanks for the input man! hoping this build and this mobo go smoothly.

Remember one thing about online reviews: people are more likely to leave a review after a negative experience, than they would be after a smooth one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2016 at 0:04 AM, Daveeede said:

Remember one thing about online reviews: people are more likely to leave a review after a negative experience, than they would be after a smooth one.

Finished the build two days ago, a PCIe slot doesn't work... Replacing the board...

2 minutes ago, the gremlin said:

Finished the build two days ago, a PCIe slot doesn't work... Replacing the board...

well that's unfortunate

1 minute ago, Daveeede said:

well that's unfortunate

I think I might as well roll the dice on the same board. I can't find a single x99 board in this price range without crappy reviews. Seems to be a theme. Two broken boards in a row? hmmm

I think I might as well roll the dice on the same board. I can't find a single x99 board in this price range without crappy reviews. Seems to be a theme. Two broken boards in a row? hmmm

well you just never know. Which pcie slot is it?

Just now, Daveeede said:

well you just never know. Which pcie slot is it?

The bottom one. 8x i think.

Could there be a reason other than it being broken that it isn't working?

what did you plug into it?

Just now, Daveeede said:

what did you plug into it?

I tested a Wifi card. Forums said it might be a weird network issue, so I tested a firewire card. neither worked

I tested a Wifi card. Forums said it might be a weird network issue, so I tested a firewire card. neither worked

But no problem on the other ports? Odd. Could be a defective port I guess, but I'd read through the manual to be sure. It could be something else forcing the pcie slot to be turned off. 

9 minutes ago, Daveeede said:

But no problem on the other ports? Odd. Could be a defective port I guess, but I'd read through the manual to be sure. It could be something else forcing the pcie slot to be turned off. 

I wish the manual offered more information. It only gives me a graphic on how to install it and how to change speeds in the BIOS.